Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a joy! Super glued in knife edge bolts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a joy! Super glued in knife edge bolts!

So I recently aquired a early 90's Charvel with a Licensed Floyd tremolo.

Somewhere along the line the metal anchors that held the threaded knife edge bolts for the tremolo began to come loose. The previous owner, in his infinite wisdom, super-glued the anchors into the guitar body. Not realizing that the glue would get into the anchors and actually cease all future adjustment of bridge hight possibility.

I laughed pretty hard as I held my head in my hands for a good five minutes. I tried everything. Drilling them, Yanking on them with channel locks, you name it. Finally I decided it would be best to drill through from the back to the bottom of the anchors and hammer them out with a nail punch. Whala. Whaddaya know, it worked. But those knife edge bolts will never turn again. LOL. The nice part is that the back tremolo cavity cover covers the holes. The bad part is the knife edge bolt holes to all the way through, so now I think I may need to put some dowels in there with a good wood glue and call it a day.

Moral of the story...if you're going to glue in your tremolo anchors...(which is goofy) take the knife edge bolts out first. Whew!!!!!!!!!

-Chad

Re: What a joy! Super glued in knife edge bolts!

Welcome to the forum, Chad! Sounds like the previous owner tried his best [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Welcome to the forum, Chad! Sounds like the previous owner tried his best [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks much for the welcome. Yeah, the previous owner nailed it. I just can't figure out how he glued everything in to be at the perfect bridge height. With a tight fit to the anchors and fast drying glue...he was like MacGyver with bad intentions!

-Chad

Comment

Ouch, what a pain. I've seen my fair share of glue-related guitar idiocy... My personal favorite was the guy who superglued the whammy bar to his trem system... What a cool mod!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Ouch, what a pain. I've seen my fair share of glue-related guitar idiocy... My personal favorite was the guy who superglued the whammy bar to his trem system... What a cool mod!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes...I'm glad I got through my guitar destroying years with just sanding and painting...I never got out the super glue.

-Chad

Comment

Sooner or later we need pics of your guitars, Chad, you being new around here. Face it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            Henrik

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Sooner or later we need pics of your guitars, Chad, you being new around here. Face it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of pictures Henrik... I should show you what I've been up to the past few days. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Check your e-mail in a couple minutes.

Comment

10-4 no problemo.

Currently in the works: Wayne Charvel Rock Legend and Ernie Ball Music Man Axis, both being constructed now. I also just purchased a Peavey Vandenberg from Ebay (that was my first real guitar!) as well as an Ibanez project for resale.

Korean CX with Seymour JB & Classic Stack Strat pickups.

1980 Fender gold/gold Strat

1999 Les Paul Classic w/Gibson Burstbuckers 2 & 3

2003 Relic Fender Stratocaster

2004 Line 6 Variax

2002 Relic Fender Tele

EKG Guitars Custom CDM-7. Designed by me, built by Eddie Kolesar. Full African Mahogany with custom gold/cream Dimarzios.

Wayne Charvel Lap Steel

-Chad

Comment

Wow, interesting stuff! That's the most versatile collection i've seen lately. That EKG, is that a flat top? Looks like it has a tiny arch, though.. It's absolutely beautiful! Love the warm color of the wood and the body binding.

You might wanna put these axes in the proper forum, if you want maximum response. Sorry i didn't tell you before. We have a thread called "post your gear" or something in the forum... shees, i forgot which one [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Do a search if you feel like it.
                  Henrik

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Wow, interesting stuff! That's the most versatile collection i've seen lately. That EKG, is that a flat top? Looks like it has a tiny arch, though.. It's absolutely beautiful! Love the warm color of the wood and the body binding.

You might wanna put these axes in the proper forum, if you want maximum response. Sorry i didn't tell you before. We have a thread called "post your gear" or something in the forum... shees, i forgot which one [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Do a search if you feel like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man...will do.

The EKG is a flat top...it looks a bit arched in that photo.

Thanks man!

-Chad

Comment

Nice guitars!

Comment

> The EKG is a flat top...it looks a bit arched in that photo.

it looks very ibanez-ish too.
                        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I didn't say it but i thought of that too, delt. I don't think it's a secret.
                          Henrik

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I didn't say it but i thought of that too, delt. I don't think it's a secret.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. I wanted a seven string based on the Paul Gilbert model dimensions, but without the reverse headstock and with the Reb Beach model look finish.

Hows that for a bastard guitar?

-Chad

Comment

Dude... that EKG beast is something real special. Jack (slayer) here on the JCF would LOVE it... hardtail, all mahogany... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And I never noticed how much Wayne's new headstock looked like the Korean CX in the first picture. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] Maybe that's where Mr Charvel got the inspiration from.

Welcome to the forum! Beautiful photographic compositions there too. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X