Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do they inlay MOP logos on headstocks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do they inlay MOP logos on headstocks??

i dont get it. how is it physically possible?? to cut a piece of pearloid in the shape the logo - without breaking it - and make a matching hole in the headstock....??
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Re: How do they inlay MOP logos on headstocks??

Most companies have the logos and routes precision cut with a CNC machine. Gibson used to do it by hand and a little filler was used to tighten the slot up. I do believe Jackson has a very thin pearl that is set on top of the headstock veneer and finished over.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      i dont get it. how is it physically possible?? to cut a piece of pearloid in the shape the logo - without breaking it - and make a matching hole in the headstock....??

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="aqua"> Jim is correct as far as modern machining capabilities but have a look at an inlay book such as "The Art of Inlay". It's amazing what these skilled craftsman can do with a jewelers saw [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]. I have tried my hand at it myself and had decent results but not to the extent of writing out names. Are you thinking of learning how to do this? </font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

The newer Jackson MOP logo's are actually 3 pieces IIRC...if you look closely you can see the small gaps between pieces.
        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
        RIP Dime

Comment

yep, they're just wafffffer-thin overlays that are cleared over. maybe i'm stupid (fair bet) but i can't see inlaying into a surface that's been painted and having it come out good (not chipped) on a regular basis.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Funny about the overlays... I'm in the process of ordering some abalone overlay blanks, cutting out Jackson and Ibanez logos, and slapping them onto my KE3 and RG560! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] And I plan on cutting them out in pieces and then maybe putting on some clear after I've stuck them on. I'm assuming that nail polish clear stuff that Subvamp recommended to me will do... uhhh, no, don't get any ideas about myself, nor Subvamp, wearing nail products. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'll have to go buy a little bottle of it sometime but I'll look weird going through the make-up department at Wal-Mart... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

NOTP-judging by your avatar, you may need more help than the make-up girls at wal-mart can provide. Maybe the Queer-eye guys can help!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

The pearl is cut first in the desired shape. It's then overlaid on the fretboard or headstock, and outline is traced, and the fretboard/headstock is then cut. You can do it with a CNC machine like Ron Thorn usually does, or you can do it by hand. I know a very skilled inlayer that's gonna inlay my MCS guitar. He uses small jewelers saws.

Comment

There's a company here in MD called Pearlworks that does the Jackson logos. They also do all the pearl work for Martin, PRS, (all the Dragon models, etc) and a million other guitar compaines that use any high-end pearl inlay work. I did the shop tour awhile back (when they used to give them) and I saw a guy packing a bunch of jackson logos. It was the "J" separate from the "ackson".They do amazing work, but only for the big boys...they won't do any "one-off" work for us common folk. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Here's their website:
                    www.pearlworks.com
                    The website will drive you insane because the whole thing is Flash animation, and you have to sit through all the little movies to see anything useful. But if you have nothing better to do, it's worth checking out.

Comment

Working...
                    X