Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal guitar rig + bass guitar ... ?

Hello all,

i'm looking to buy a bass, and i'm wondering how well this will work with my normal guitar rig.... i mainly use a GT-3 multifx console, which i'm really happy with, output goes directly to my pc sound card (gt-3 is in line-out/mixer mode) anyway really awesome setup for all kinds of guitar sounds.

How well would a bass fit into this setup? I remember a while ago someone on the GT-3 users group mentioned having a whole set of gt-3 patches for his bass, so i figure it works pretty well.
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Re: Normal guitar rig + bass guitar ... ?

It'll probably sound like crap, but it won't hurt anything. Tone is subjective, however. You may be happy with the way it sounds, and in the end that's all that matters.

Comment

i don't think it would sound like crap, i plug my microphone in the gt-3 for recording acoustic/classical guitar tracks, and it gives very good results.

... unless you think this sounds like crap http://razorback.ca/acoustic-gt3.mp3

just recorded that 2 seconds ago with my shitty old hondo steelstring (my aria classical is broken) miked through the gt-3. yeah strings are dead, and i trimmed my nails too short, but it gives you an idea of the sound quality i can get with a mic going into the gt-3. i didn't even eq the track (: (:
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

Like Ace said, it'll sound like crap.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

uh why?

Comment

I suppose if the patches are decent it may sound alright but I'd get a bass amp modeler if it were me (Pod or V-amp). Something geared toward the frequency ranges of the bass guitar will yield the best sound. I've done it using the pre-outs from my bass amp and it sounded ok. JMHO.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

i can "simulate" bass sounds with the octave shifter, but it doesn't sound quite enough like a real bass. and for the frequency ranges, this thing has a flat response from 50hz to 22khz with i think 106db dynamic range, so i guess there's no problem there at all (: (:

Comment

I just don't think that soundcards/computer speakers/digital processing/computer power amplifiers will ever sound as good as a real Ampeg SVT pushing a few 10" speakers.

Comment

Bass shouldn't be used through a guitar amp... the bass frequencies can blow your guitar speakers if the volume is too loud. At low volumes you should be okay. I'm not sure if it would damage anything if you're just going direct to your pc, though, but I would probably advise against it and get something dedicated for bass.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

As long as you set the Compressor for Peak Limiting it should be ok.
                    If the GT-3 has a full-range EQ (including bass freqs), I'd say do it. I get some nice bass sounds out of my ADA MP-1 and Digitech TSR-12 rack setup, and the TSR has full-range EQ.

Or you can record the bass totally flat and EQ it in the computer.

And it doesn't matter how many speakers you push when recording if it isn't pushing the same way during playback. As long as you've got a good mix on a CD, it doesn't really matter if you mic'd an amp or not.

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

^ agreed about the speakers thing.

and yeah the gt3 has 2 full range parametric eq's (one dedicated and one in the modulation fx block) + the tone/treble/mid/bass on several effects and preamps.

the output of my gt-3 is filtered through a 10 band stereo eq anyway.

Comment

Umm, you shot down the first two opinions when you were looking for opinions. It sounds like you already made up your mind that it will work fine and sound good. Why were you asking? Maybe I'm wrong, but it just sounds like you only want the opinions as long as they are the same as yours. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] If I'm wrong, (usualy am [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) I apologize. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Actually his first post cites one person's experience with the same setup. He was asking if anyone here thought it was a good idea, since some people will post anything on the internet just so they can say they posted, like making guitar cables out of old lamp or hair dryer cords, or running a bass they don't have through gear they don't have and getting "awesome tones" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I say do it. I've done it with similar gear for years, and never had a problem. I haven't compared my Bass POD's stuff to the stuff I get through my "guitar" rig, but since my guitar rig works well for bass, why screw with it? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

haha yeah, the first two responses seemed like just saying "it won't work, it'll sound like ****" without even having tried or heard anything like it.

.... i don't think that guy on the gt-3 users group made it up about patches for his bass, he just briefly mentioned it when describing how his gt-3 was setup. In response to another guy's question if i remember. He said something like "i have patches ? to ? for my strat, patches ? to ? for this xyz other guitar, [ ... ] and patches ? to ? for my bass."

Comment

Thank you for asking my opinion and then disregarding it, I clearly don't know what the **** I'm talking about thank you. Your absolutely right, I post on the internet just to see my screen name in print. In my years of guitar playing, and despite the fact that I am a professional guitar tech that spends his days working with the bands that you love and listen to on the radio, I know not a **** thing about music or what sounds good. I walk around with my fingers in my ears and my head up my ass. Thanks for calling me on it guys!! I give opinions not based on my years of experience recording and playing live venues ranging from garages to crowds of 40,000 people, but on mere coin tosses and vague ideas of what might piss people off that I've never met. My real goal in life is to upset the daily lives honest hard-working musicians on the interent by pawning myself off as a professional.

OK, just nevermind the fact that I said "Tone is subjective, however. You may be happy with the way it sounds, and in the end that's all that matters." Which is pretty much what everyone else said. If you like the way that your bass sounds through your processor and your computer, go for it. More power to you. Go have a blast and don't let me stop you. As for me "having never tried anything like it", I HAVE tried damn near everything like it, and I'm telling you that it hasn't been the prefered way of doing things IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X