Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kramer neck to a Jackson body? (a Krackson!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kramer neck to a Jackson body? (a Krackson!)

Hey, just bought the kelly body listed in the classifieds (what can I say, it caught my eye!).
    I have a musicyo Kramer neck that I like (I know, sounds silly but it feels pretty good to me and I like the fact that it has a maple fingerboard too).
    Just wondering if anyone knows how well it will fit in the neck pocket.
    This body and the trem/pickups will be a big upgrade for me because the Striker body in psycho splatter is... well, not my favorite, the trem is kinda stinky, and the pickups are ok.. but the Jackson pups are probably a little better.
    If I do use this neck, I'll probably sand down the headstock and put a clear finish over the bare maple with no logo by the way.. wouldn't look right with a Kramer logo and a Kelly body!

And if this neck doesn't fit.. then I will find a way to get one that does fit, and suits my taste(I require a maple fingerboard, no exceptions [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Re: Kramer neck to a Jackson body? (a Krackson!)

If you make sure that you have the same scale length, overhang and all that ****, the neck will most likely fit fine. Once you get it, set the neck in the pocket and measure from the nut to the bridge. If you are at or around 25.5", your most likely in business. Fender pretty much set the standard for neck heels when they built the strat. Most bolt on's have fit the same profile ever since.

Comment

Thanks!
      I'm actually pretty sure the scale isn't going to be a problem.. I compared this neck with that of the Dinky I used to have (and contemplated swapping 'em but never ended up doing it) and I concluded that there wasn't any scale difference, but I didn't know for sure if the neck pocket was going to work out the same.
      I'll give it a shot next week when the stuff gets here, and I'll be sure to post pics if all goes well!

Steve

Comment

You can compensate for small differences in scale by moving the saddles anyway. especially on a floyd type bridge.
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Yeah I was thinking about that this morning.
          I'll definitely give it a full intonation check when I have time to do so. I bet it'll work out ok.

Comment

Have you checked if the holes in the neck line up with the holes in the body? Because I've heard(and seen) that Kramer used smaller neckplates, which in turn puts smaller distance between the neck holes.

Comment

hmm, didn't think about that..... when drilling screw holes in the neck, i assume you have to make a pilot hole first, to avoid the wood grain cracking apart?

and it's probably best to patch the old ones with wood filler first....

btw what model# is that body, a ke2? the only kelly bolt-ons i know are ke3, but the neck doesn't have bindings.
              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

I think you should call it a Jacker, but that's just me...
                Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Hmm I was wondering what model it is too..
                  The KE3 doesn't have that black hardware, schaller trem either... so I think it's a model that was around before the KE3 or something?

Comment

Well, the body came! (Thanks mm2002!)
                    The neck fits the pocket perfectly, but as you guys mentioned, the spacing of the screws is off.. so I'll have to fill the holes and drill new ones.
                    I might see if I can get a tech to do it, depending what it costs (or maybe I'll fill the holes and have him drill new ones if he can).
                    What do you recommend I use to fill the holes?
                    By the way.. pics:

Comment

weird to see a kramer head on a kelly, and a maple fretboard (: (:

what kelly is that body from?

Comment

The truss rod cover says Kelly XL, and the neck pocket says PS-6T.

Yeah it is odd to see a maple board and a Kramer head on a Kelly but in an odd way, I kinda like it, so I hope this works out!

Comment

That is sweet!

Comment

That looks like my Kelly! Mine has a great Jackson JTX neck on it though, so it's all Jackson. The JTX is a Professional Series neck, thin like a Wizard neck and plays like a dream! It was Newc's guitar, and has a Gibson
                            498 (I think) humbucker in the bridge.

I think it looks great with the maple board too! Different, but more VHish, maybe?
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

can't wait to get it all ready to play [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X