strings rusting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strings rusting

i use 9s and they seem to rust pretty fast, like after the second or first day i put em on. is there neway to prevent this?

Re: strings rusting

Do you wipe your strings down after every time you play?
    I use 9s also (Boomers) and I have to change mine about every other week, sometimes I can make it three if I am dilligent about always wiping down the strings. I notice its the little fishline buggers that get crusty first.
    When I used elixir the strings lasted longer, but I didn't like them- too slippery.
    Maybe try a different brand?
    Just my 2 cents.

Em

Comment

thanks, ill try wiping them down. i want to refrain from using ne thing that will make the strings slick.

Comment

My simple ritual for making strings last seemingly forever:

1.) You MUST MUST MUST wash your hands with soap and water before even touching the guitar. This will get rid of the sweat, natural oils, and food-related crap on your hands that are a killer recipe for quick string degradation.

2.) Wipe down the strings with a clean soft cloth after playing. Wipe the fretboard as well if you like.

3.) When you're not playing, keep the guitars in their cases as a buffer to humidity changes, dust, dirt, and oxidation.

There's supposedly this special soap that gets rid of acidic sweat as well if you find that your sweat eats strings up. Ask your doctor to see if it's right for you. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

> 3.) When you're not playing, keep the guitars in their cases as a buffer to
          > humidity changes, dust, dirt, and oxidation.

doh, i keep my guitars on wall hangers.... (: (:

> There's supposedly this special soap that gets rid of acidic sweat as well if you
          > find that your sweat eats strings up. Ask your doctor to see if it's right for you.

what kind of soap is that? ..... prescription soap, that's a new one -)
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I agree with always washing your hands before you play. That is very good advice!
            If you tend to sweat a lot you can also lightly powder your hands (be sure to wipe off excess powder, you don't want that all over your guitar) if you can't find that soap. That's a new one to me actually, didn't know you could get soap like that. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

You have to stop playing."While My Guitar Gently Weeps" [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

NOTP nailed it. At the very least be religous about step #1.
                I don't let anyone touch my guitars unless they wash up first. I could care less if someone thinks this is silly or anal or whatever. I have nice guitars and they are MY guitars.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I have nice guitars and they are MY guitars.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  You also put your guitars in rock piles! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have had a "friend" get angry when I insisted he wash before touching my axe. I am no longer in contact with this person.
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      NOTP nailed it. At the very least be religous about step #1.
                      I don't let anyone touch my guitars unless they wash up first. I could care less if someone thinks this is silly or anal or whatever. I have nice guitars and they are MY guitars.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's nice to know I'm not alone on this.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I have had a "friend" get angry when I insisted he wash before touching my axe.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is especially concerning when they don't wash after using the bathroom! eeewwwoooo! [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]
                        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          You also put your guitars in rock piles!

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, other than the rock divots in the backs of my guitars... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I was wondering just the other day how much an effect keeping guitars in their cases vs on wall hangers would have on string life.

I wash my hands before playing and carefully wipe down each string after playing and have no complaints about string life. I keep my guitars in their cases, partly for safety and partly just for storage space reasons, but some wall hangers would be cool - can anyone that uses them/has used them comment on string life on guitars left 'out' like that vs guitars kept in their cases?

I also live in southern california, so I don't know how much of an issue humidity is, probably not much of one [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I was wondering just the other day how much an effect keeping guitars in their cases vs on wall hangers would have on string life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that strings last way longer when the guitar's kept in a case compared when it's left out in a guitar stand. The strings and even the frets tarnish get oxidized a lot faster when the left out, and this is totally independent of the amount of time that it's played. I live in the Northeast which isn't extremely humid or dry so I don't think weather is a factor.
                              I figure that when it's in a case, there's very little air to oxidize the strings.
                              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                              X