Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trem block shim material - does it really matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trem block shim material - does it really matter?

I'm going to try making some trem block shims to keep the Floyd from floating on a couple of my guitars. I've got some MDF laying around I can use. Do you think the material used (i.e. type of wood, plastic, etc) would really have an impact on the tone from the guitar? I figure no matter what the material is, it could (if anything) enhance the sustain a little. Thoughts?

Re: Trem block shim material - does it really matter?

Are you talking about "Blocking" your trem? If so go to Home Depot they Sell alder and poplar "Shim" that you can use for that ..
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

MDF is fine to use.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Are you talking about "Blocking" your trem? If so go to Home Depot they Sell alder and poplar "Shim" that you can use for that ..

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Actually I hear Home Depot is all out of stock on the Poplar..... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

VaporTrail,
          Welcome to the forum, i think i saw somebody posted about using steel(or some sort of metal) as block which can enhance the sustain a little.

BTW, isn't this suppose to be in the "Tech Q&amp;A" section?

Fong

Comment

[quote <font color="aqua">Actually I hear Home Depot is all out of stock on the Poplar..... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="yellow">Bwahahhahahhha.....Dave...you are killing me bro [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

OK.....dumb question. What the hell is MDF?

Comment

Medium Density Fibre
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I don't get the Home Depot joke. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

Is the "confused" graemlin supposed to look like a sad Don King?

Comment

Oh, anyways, I suppose "ideally" you would want the material to match the material of your guitar body. But since the vibrations in your trem block were originaly lost anyways, wether or not it makes any noticeable difference is up to you.

Comment

Working...
                      X