Removing clear lacquer from back of maple neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing clear lacquer from back of maple neck

Anyone know of a better way to remove clear lacquer from a neck that's been lacquered? (better & easier than sanding)

(Maple neck with rosewood fretboard........everything has been lacquered except the rosewood fretboard)

Is there a chemical strip method? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Removing clear lacquer from back of maple neck

Go over the finish with 0000 grade steel wool. This will not remove the finish but it will make it more satin instead of hard gloss.

You will be amazed at the difference.

Comment

When you take the steel wool to the back of the neck, do you do this outside to prevent the particles from being inhaled or depositing inside your house?

Comment

I've done the steel wool thing & it helps immensely........but in this case, I want the lacquer gone.

I always use the steel wool outside.....those particles get everywhere.

Comment

To remove the lacquer use pieces of clean cut glass and scrape it off. When you get close to the wood, change to a new sharp Stanley blade and scrape the remaining lacquer. That is the most efficient, non-toxic, gentle-to-the-wood method there is.
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I always use the steel wool outside.....those particles get everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome, that's all I needed to know. Thank you! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I used a big ol' Ka-bar knife to strip the laquer off a junky Model neck I've had laying around. Worked like a charm, though I did ding the neck a couple of times in my enthusiasm.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Lacquer on a model neck? Never seen it.

If it is truely lacquer and not clear poly, you can use acetone or lacquer thinner to remove it. If it is clear poly, I suggest using 400 grit wetsanding paper. It will give the finish a nice oiled feel.

Comment

This is clear lacquer that was sprayed on.

I'm having excellent luck, actually. I'm using lacquer thinner on terry cloth with a hell of a lot of elbow grease & it is polishing off.

Comment

I have a SD Rhoads and a model 2 that I want to get the necks down to bare wood and then tung oil. Do you think 400 grade wet sandpaper and/or 0000 steel wool is the way to go? I don't want to accidentally carve up the necks with glass or a knife. (especially the SD Rhoads :-) )

Thanks!

Comment

Well, try the Jackson1 glass/knife procedure on the Model 2 first, and then if you feel confident with that and like it a lot, then do it on the SD Rhoads afterwards. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I wish I had some frickin' tung oil. I have NO idea where to get it. WalMart maybe? Canadian Tire? Home Hardware? Home Depot? What department? I know WalMart's cleaning products section doesn't have oil except for lemon oil, so I had to buy that instead of the linseed oil that I wanted to try. Maybe instead of just steel wooling the backs of the necks, I want to get 'em raw and then tung oil them. Just want to keep my options open in this project-heavy time of my summer. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Home Depot and Walmart have tung oil.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I wish I had some frickin' tung oil. I have NO idea where to get it. WalMart maybe? Canadian Tire? Home Hardware? Home Depot? What department?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Look in the paint /wood refinishing section of your store. Formby's is a brand name that is carried around here in the USA but I'm not sure what they'd carry there. </font>
                          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Oh hell, use 80 grit "stik-it" discs and a DA. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
                            It'll thin up that neck profile while you're at it!
                            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I have a SD Rhoads and a model 2 that I want to get the necks down to bare wood and then tung oil. Do you think 400 grade wet sandpaper and/or 0000 steel wool is the way to go? I don't want to accidentally carve up the necks with glass or a knife. (especially the SD Rhoads :-) )

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've used 0000 steel wool alone to take the finish off of a Mod 2 neck and it takes a loooong time to do it. There's quite a coat on there. I've done it a lot faster on my Mod 4 neck by starting with 100 grit sandpaper, then switching to 220, to 400, then to steel wool. Just make sure to tape off the sides of the fingerboard or you could sand away your side fret-markers!!
                              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                              X