Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning fretboards with your ol' pal NOTP (help!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning fretboards with your ol' pal NOTP (help!)

Okay, so this is nothing like Sully's handy topic, but hey, I need some questions answered. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Tonight was the first time I ever cleaned and oiled a fretboard. Started with the ebony board on my Soloist since the finger dirt residue crap tends to be more prominent on this ebony board than on my other guitars' rosewood boards.

Blocked the Floyd using a white plastic eraser, unlocked the locknut, loosened the tuners, took the strings off at the Floyd, and proceeded to work the fretboard using Weiman lemon oil on a new toothbrush. I let the oil sit on each fret space perhaps a minute or two, ooooh-ing and ahhhhh-ing at how slick the board looked, the wiped the fret spaces with a clean dishcloth. The board looks great and feels slick, and the frets themselves are shiny and smooth, but then I looked at the dishcloth and saw that it was BLACK where I had wiped the board with.

Now, the questions.

1.) Is that ebony dye coming off the board? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

2.) Can you directly lemon oil the frets themselves?

3.) Not really a question, but it was damn near impossible to avoid lemon-brushing the friggin' MOP sharkfins, so I just went over them gently with the toothbrush. Seemed to have made 'em a little sparklier, if anything. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Hopefully I'm not grinding away at the inlays.

Then I strung 'er up, let it sit to dry for a while, then tucked her in back to sleep. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The ebonizing project thread is coming soon, so stay tuned, boys and girls! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Expect a huge topic with detailed instructions and pictures. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Cleaning fretboards with your ol\' pal NOTP (help!)

That "black" on the cloth was just dirt and grime. Aren't you glad it's off of there now?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Good job brother, I can't wait to hear about your "ebonizing" experience. I think you'll be pleased with the results.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Oh my God!!! Your fretboard is melting. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] It's just dirt and oil and maybe some oxidation. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Thank god. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I didn't think I played the guitar THAT much to have turned the dishcloth black in that area. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That lemon oil gave me a slight headache... I KNEW I should have worked in an area with proper ventilation. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

By the way, the vinegar and steel wool mixture is nasty looking and has a strange smell. I can't believe I'm gonna be putting that crap on my beautiful fretboards. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The steel wool has inflated (yes, inflated!) and there's some sort of weird layer floating on top of the surface of the vinegar. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The jar itself is nasty too... I'll have to dispose of it at the proper waste disposal stations in my lab at work. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Cleaning fretboards with your ol\' pal NOTP (he

You should save the run-off and maybe bottle up some "NOTP Cola" for sale at winter NAMM.

Just a thought...

Keith
          The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

<font color="yellow">I hear ya NOTP....I got my Shannon 2 weeks ago, and I have played the hell out of the poor thing ever since [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] My Les Paul is kinda upset with me, as it hasn't been out of the case too much during the last 2 weeks...and Mrs LPC scolds me when I do play it......Mrs LPC's [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Well, last weekend, I was playing it, and I noticed crud [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] on the strings and the fingerboard was pretty furry (do frets have fur [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]).

Well, I was kinda apprehensive about doing the deed, but it cleaned up really well using the lemon oil and a fresh set of strings and a quick tweak of the truss rod.

I really like the surface mount Floyd now....as I don't have a Floyded guitar which is recessed anymore...it is more like my Les Paul as far as hand placement.

I have to track down some Linseed oil this weekend and try that out the next time I oil the fingerboard, see if it is better or not.

</font>

Comment

I'm dying to try the linseed oil myself as well, but I can't find any! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Pisses me off. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Glad you're enjoying the Shannon too! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

NOTP Cola... hahahahaha, that is classic. Love it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Shannon Soloist edition cola... mmmmmmm... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X