New Floyd Locknut problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Floyd Locknut problem...

So I bought a new OFR locknut for one of my guitars - courtesy of Kickaxeguitars - and I've discovered and issue:

The old nut was a Kahler Floyd-style, with the string seperator. It needed to be shimmed a bit to get the height correct. The new Floyd nut has the opposite problem - I'll need to remove some of the wood from the platform to make the height low enough for decent action...

I've never done this before, but I'm game. I know I have to be careful to keep the platform flat - any tips/tricks/insights that you guys can share?

Thanks
    Mike
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Re: New Floyd Locknut problem...

How about a flat file with no teeth on the edges?
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I've used what fett mentions, the flat file w/no teeth on edges. You have to be careful and keep it flat and at the right angle. If you go to deep, you can always fix with shims. Likewise, if you accidently cut deeper on one side, you can just shim that side.

Question #1: what's wrong with just leaving the Kahler nut there? I actually prefer them!
      Question #2: what floyd nut did you get? An R1 & R2 nut has a height of .225", while the slightly wider R3/R4/R5 have a height of .275".

I think the Kahler nut height is closer to that of a Floyd R2 nut, so I'm thinking you might be trying to install an R3 nut since you have the height problem.

Here's the floyd nut specs for reference:
      R1: narrow: Width: 1-9/16"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.30”; Radius: 10"
      R2: standard: Width: 1-5/8"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.37”; Radius: 10"
      R3: wide: (narrow string spacing for bound neck), Width: 1-11/16"; Height: .275"; Spacing: 1.40”; Radius: 10"
      R4: wide: (wide string spacing), Width: 1-11/16"; Height: .275"; Spacing: 1.43”; Radius: 10"
      R5: extra wide. Width: 1-3/4"; Height: .275"; Spacing: 1.50”; Radius: 10"
      R6: R1 with bullet nut relief. Width: 1-9/16"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.30”; Radius: 10"
      R7: R2 with bullet nut relief. Width: 1-5/8"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.37”; Radius: 10"
      R8: R4 with flatter radius. Width: 1-11/16"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.43”; Radius: 15"

Comment

Thanks for the info. The Kahler nut is hosed - stripped very badly - so I am replacing it with an R4, which would cause the exact problem. Since the neck is an unbound 1 11/16, I don't really have much choice.

Anyway, it's a very minor difference, so I'll do the file method. Thanks guys - and thanks in advance to anyone else who chooses to throw some info in. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I've taken it off of the actual nut before. I've got a stationary Delta belt sander. Just make sure to hold it with some good gloves, it heats up a bit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Comment

Working...
          X