current guitar painting project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• current guitar painting project

this is a Charvel model series guitar with a warmoth neck that I got from Pete, Twisteramps. It was originally white, but that was a long time ago, and had turned quite yellow.
    These pictures are at the base coat stage, after following (for the most part) the tutorial at guitarproject.com.
    The parts are just laying on the guitar, I still need to do the clearcoat.
    I was thinking about graphics/and/or/ pinstripes?
    A guy I went to highschool with is a pretty good artist, and has done some airbrush on a few local Harley's.

well,
    here's the link to the pics

http://onlinerock.com/musicians/ludrot/page2.shtml

Nandrew

Re: current guitar painting project

Gotta lay that hardware on there first cause you can't wait to see what she's gonna look like!!! (I do the same thing sometimes!) Please beware though, after you lay down the base color you really need to get the clear on there as soon as possible. Make sure you use a wax/grease remover and clean it good now that you've been handling it. Don't put a graphic on it, just clear it!! The beauty of the model 1s and 2s were their simplicity (no frills) approach. They are a one trick pony and they do that one trick very well! Don't complicate that with some cheezy graphic. That's a nice color, just clear it and buff the hell outa it!!!!!!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Matter of fact the more I look at it the more I love that color!!! That's a very cool "goldish" orange!!! What code is it?
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

That is a very cool color-looks like orange sherbet or one of those creamsicles. Have you considered doing the headstock as well?

Comment

Dude, do not clearcoat that, or if you do, do it in a satin finish. That looks frikken awesome. Makes me want to go get an orange creamsicle. Mmmmm, creamsicle! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Thanks for all the replies..

The color is NAPA automotive paint. It is from their custom "hot rod" colors, and actually it's called Orange Serbert, (or however you spell sherbert__))

I may do the headstock in the near future, but I'm not sure right now.

Sorry, I gotta go with a clearcoat, the paint is so fragile without it....

NoahNandrewJackson

Comment

man thats amazing, i wish i had the talent to do that [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Nice work! And another vote for that color!

What sort of clear coat are you going to put on?

Keith
                The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

very cool color indeed.

and yeah, get some clear on it asap!
                  if you haven't already, pick yourself up a 6" hand buffer for when you're done wetsanding. i use mine for many a guitar project.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Hey, I recognize that Model 2. And that Warmoth neck [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And I finally did find the instructions for that truss rod adjuster on the side, but think I lost it again [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    When I find it I'll scan it, but basically you have to unlock it at the heel, then adjust the rod on the side, then lock the heel. It says not to adjust it with tension on the neck (strung & tuned).

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've really been trying to only hold it with a cloth, not with bare hands, and have used the tack cloth on it a lot between sanding, primer, sanding, painting and so forth.

I was thinking of going back to NAPA to get the automotice clear coat. The guy at my local NAPA is a really great painter, and has given me many tips. He's a well respected car painter in this area.

I'm not going to have the color in the clear coat, just clear, clear coat. I think it will give me the wet look I'm going for.

I still haven't sat down with the airbrush artist to talk about ideas for the guitar, so that's still up in the air.

There are many flaws that the pictures don't show, I'll try to take some closeups and post them,

but this is my first time EVER trying something like this, and I'm very satisfied with the experience so far.

NewC, I would really appreciate those instructions if you can dig them up. When it was all together it was playing fine, but if it ever needs adjusted that would be great.

thanks all,

Nand

Comment

would the guy that helped you out with the tips clear it for ya next time he's clearing something? may be a good bet. if not, get something called prep-sol, it's a degreaser/cleaner to use before you shoot a coat. you also may be able to use mineral spirits if you can't get any prep-sol.

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I like that color, too! Nice work! The beauty of that color is you can take it deer huntin and not worry about getting shot (unless I'm in the woods nearby). [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

??

Why does the trem look crooked?

Comment

... It doesn't even look attached, bro bro.

And cool color, BTW!

Comment

Working...
                              X