4x10 & 2x10 or 2x12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x10 & 2x10 or 2x12

With cost being an issue, I'm leaning towards getting some Avatar cabs. I've read very positive reviews about them. I'm thinking of getting a 4x10 8ohm cab and a 2x10 8ohm cab. When run together, it drops to 4ohms, so that would get the maximum wattage from my Ampeg SVT-3 PRO. I figure the 2x10 will be very portable and I can use for small practice jams or playing @ bedroom (i.e. not pissing off the wife [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])levels, but then add the 4x10 for playing gigs or loud band practices. Or I can get a 2x12 instead of the 2x10? What do you guys think?

Re: 4x10 & 2x10 or 2x12

I think the 4x10 + 2x10 option sounds great. The only thing that would sway me to the 2x12 is if you have a 5 string. I don't think the 2x10 will quite cut it for those super low notes. If you only have a 4-string, I would opt for the 2x10 instead of the 2x12 to save on weight.

I have a 2x10 + 1x15 Ampeg stack (see the equipment thread in this section of the forum), and like the "splitability" of it; I can bring the 2x10 to practices, and leave the 1x15 at home.

Tone wise, I would have liked a single 4x10 cabinet, but that's a lot of weight to lug around. A split system seemed to be the best solution for me.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Re: 4x10 & 2x10 or 2x12

The 4 10 Carvin (red eye) is the best bang for the buck with the most punch and headroom ..I belive it's rated at 600 wt.RMS at 2 ohms with an adjustable tweeter (red eye) but don't quote me......pair it with the Carvin 1 18 and you got one of the finest cabs availuable in my very experienced and devoted opinion...

Believe me you can NOT go wrong with their bass cabs ...I turned five cool local bassists onto them and they all love them!

Ampeg is nice but very over priced and they don't cut it like the Carvins did for me ...IMO

I'm buying another new Carvin stack ....my fourth one ...I'll never buy anything else..

I played over 100 gigs with them and they served me well...

Good luck...someone posted a link and pics of the cabs I'm talking about on the last thread.

BTW ...join my band ....come to Cleveland ...
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
      X