Smoooooth neck finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoooooth neck finish

Of the three Charvels I've owned, the 375 Deluxe had the nicest finish on the back of the neck. It was a lot smoother than my Model 2 and 4. How can I get that same finish or at least something close on the back of my M4?

Re: Smoooooth neck finish

<font color="aqua">A product called "0000 steel wool" is what will help you out there. It can be found in any hardware store or "home center". The four zero's are like the "grit size" for sandpaper. The less zeros in a type of steel wool, the more course of a finish you'll get. When you use steel wool, always put a piece of masking tape over your pickups so they don't collect the little bits of metal that can "fly" off the steel wool. You don't have to rub hard, just go slow and take your time.

Good luck!
    </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Thanks, Dave! Should I leave the wood bare or apply some sort of finish?

Comment

Tung oil!, I just had this done to a 1984 USA Strat plus. Jim Mouridian in Cambridge ( the Best f****ng luthier in the Boston area) fine sanded the neck down to no finish and then tung oiled it. I amazed all maple necks don't leave the factory like this, it feels amazing! Fast smooth and incredibly easy to play!
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Thanks, Dave! Should I leave the wood bare or apply some sort of finish?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">You're very welcome, but you won't have to apply a finish because you're not removing the whole finish off the neck. All you're doing is rubbing the steel wool along the neck (not hard) and your basically just smoothing out the surface and taking the "sheen" off the surface.

As for tung oil, that is my personal preference but I was giving you the easiest and best way to do this without refinishing the neck with tung oil. Just try the steel wool first and you may be surprised how great it feels! </font>
          Dave ->

Comment

Yeah, just do like Dave said. It will give you a matte satin finish. You can always reverse the process later and buff it back out to a higher gloss finish... or it may get shiny again on its own due to your hand constantly rubbing the neck.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Great tips, everybody.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                <font color="aqua">A product called "0000 steel wool" is what will help you out there. It can be found in any hardware store or "home center". The four zero's are like the "grit size" for sandpaper. The less zeros in a type of steel wool, the more course of a finish you'll get. When you use steel wool, always put a piece of masking tape over your pickups so they don't collect the little bits of metal that can "fly" off the steel wool. You don't have to rub hard, just go slow and take your time.

Good luck!
                </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Budman -

I actually got turned on to these synthetic pads that work better because there's no steel thread residue, they work awesome...3M makes them...use the grey ones that correspond in abrasivness to 0, 00, 000, 0000 steel wool, then the white nylon pad for final buffout.

I also prefer linseed to Tung oil because it doesnt seem to leave the buildup. For a hard poly, the Behlens Master Gel kicks ass! works into the wood and rubs out to an old charvel unfinished feel

Works for me anyway, actual results may vary [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Steve E

Comment

If you're referring to "micro mesh", yes it is much better than steel wool. I'd never used it until I read a post here a few months ago (Jim Shine I think). I gave it a try and never looked back!
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Budman -

I actually got turned on to these synthetic pads that work better because there's no steel thread residue, they work awesome...3M makes them...use the grey ones that correspond in abrasivness to 0, 00, 000, 0000 steel wool, then the white nylon pad for final buffout.

I also prefer linseed to Tung oil because it doesnt seem to leave the buildup. For a hard poly, the Behlens Master Gel kicks ass! works into the wood and rubs out to an old charvel unfinished feel

Works for me anyway, actual results may vary [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Steve E

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Where can you find this stuff at, Home Depot?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

Good luck!
                      </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Budman -

Steve E

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua"> Thanks for the tip Steve! I have a huge bag of steel wool left so it will be awhile before I get to do so though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] This is exactly why I love this forum!! </font>
                      Dave ->

Comment

Use up that steel wool on an ebony dye project like I'm currently doing! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Just add vinegar. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X