Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eerie Dess Swirl finish

Hi guys,
    Ive got a 1985 Randy Rhoads through neck that has been refinished previously (hence, no longer original). It was originally black with a kahler, and it now a transperant red to green sunburst.

Whilst this looks cool, id REALLY like to have an Eerie Dess finish. Being in Australia, we get stuff all USA Jackson, let alone Eerie Dess ones...

Does anyone know how that finish is done??
    --
    Regards,
    Perry

www.ormsbyguitars.com

Re: Eerie Dess Swirl finish

I'm currently trying to work this out myself. As I understand it, you spray the guitar in a black base colour and let it dry. Then, you spray it in a metallic or pearl silver. Whilst the silver is still wet, screw up some clingfilm (I think it's called 'saran' wrap in the U.S.) and then flatten out the cling film and place it over the wet silver finish you have just applied. You then pull off the cling film in any way you choose; twist it, drag it, etc. Because you screwed up the clingfilm, you created creases, which in turn, when placed on the wet silver paint, create a unique pattern. If you want large swirls, don't scrunch up the cling film so tightly, small swirls, do. The other colours that you see in the pattern, blue, green, yellow etc., you need to use 'candy' or 'transluscent' paints. These are basically see-through paints, where no matter how much you apply, the base colours (the black and the messed up silver) will still be visible underneath. So you make up the rest of the pattern by applying these colours where you want them, e.g. purple at the centre, blue at the horns etc. And finally, lacquer it! If this process hasn't been explained properly, let me know. I paid £100 UK pounds for all of the materials to do this job, which sounds a lot, but I could only buy the paints in certain minimum quantities, so I have enough to do five guitars! I have a feeling we'll be having an eerie dess front door at our house!

[ January 03, 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: SEAN RAFFERTY ]

Comment

Yep, i suspect your correct. I had spoken to a guy that specializes in custom painting Harley Davidsons, and he said it looks simular to his fuel tanks that he does with this process:

Paint silver metallic, then use aluminum cookin foil (scrunched up) to texture the metallic, then apply the relevant colours over the top.

Id say your idea of the cling wrap will most likely be the correct way.

Let me know how you go, maybe we can trade photos of the finished projects?
      --
      Regards,
      Perry

www.ormsbyguitars.com

Comment

Dave, sorry about the non-capitalization! You obviously know what you are doing, the bike looks amazing. I am waiting for warmer weather before I attempt painting my Charvel body, but when I do, I'll post the pics straight away (that's if it turns out anywhere close to the standard of work on your bike, if not, I'll just post a pic of a nice one off the net or something!).

Comment

Sean, you are correct, for the most part. Eerie Dess is always capitalized. It's a trademark name of a certain type of paint. It has slightly different drying properties than standard paint which help in creating your patterns with plastic wrap or foil. Plastic wrap (in my opinion) gives a more "runny" appearance to the pattern. Foil gives a more mottled, or even a marbleized pattern. Though I expect you could get either to look like the other with practice. As far as using silver, you will end up with a MUCH brighter undercoat than with the ED, which is a milky grey color. You'll end up using much more trans color to darken it up. When I painted my bike, I used ED over most of the tanks, and then sprayed a solid silver on the center panels (where the Harley decal usually goes). I used thin flames to separate the two instead of the typical pin stripes. This really makes the center panel stand out while using the same number of color coats, the silver is very bright. You might even have better luck matching the ED look with a metallic grey.

This is a picture of my tank. It's large, so it's a link rather than posting it. The pic isn't great, but you can plainly see how much brighter the silver in the center is versus the ED on the rest of the tank and on the frame. That's with an equal number of color coats.

http://home.texoma.net/~txchopper/images/tank.jpg

Comment

Err, I guess I sounded like a bozo with the capitalization comment. What I meant was, the caps are a hint that it's a proper name for a tradmarked paint product, versus the generic names of the other jackson paintjobs, like metallic black, etc.

Finish that paint and post pics! I've been considering an Eerie Dess paint job on a new guitar too. If I do it, it's gonna match my bike, complete with the blue and purple flames.

Comment

Hey guys, i´m new on this forum, and i´m brazilian, so sorry about the bad english. But i´m trying to built a guitar with this awesome finish, and people of other forum show me this product: Crazer from Alsa Corp. Anyone used it before? Well, the link: http://www.alsacorp.com/products/cra...r_prodinfo.htm

If anyone knows how this products works, post reply please. Thanks a lot!

Comment

anybody got a picture of the erie dess finish?

Comment

Originally posted by Helmet:
                  Hey guys, i´m new on this forum, and i´m brazilian, so sorry about the bad english. But i´m trying to built a guitar with this awesome finish, and people of other forum show me this product: Crazer from Alsa Corp. Anyone used it before? Well, the link: http://www.alsacorp.com/products/cra...r_prodinfo.htm

If anyone knows how this products works, post reply please. Thanks a lot!
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">WOW!!

go to the "Product Showcase"

that stuff is cool! I bet its overly expensive. . .

Comment

Hi All. I have been toying with the idea of doing one of these finishes myself. Here is one of the products I have been able to find from House of Kolor. www.Eastwoodco.com is one of their distributors. Here is a link to the color chart. Color Chart

Comment

Nice stuff too! So what´s the best deal, House of Kolor or Alsa Corp?

Comment

That Alsa Corp. website also has an application guide. It looks as though you guys were right on how to apply it! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

We've got distribution in Australia and you've now got access to anything and everything Jackson. Shoot me an email if you need help locating new gear.

Good luck on the Eerie Dess!!!

McD
                          \oo/. .\oo/ @ www.jacksonguitars.com

Comment

Okay, this is the official way of doing it last I heard. You paint the base coat whatever color you want, usually black. Next you spray it with silver marbelizer, not colored. You lay some saran wrap over the guitar, then twist and pull up. That's what gives it the swirl. Let that dry, then shoot various translucent colors over the silver. If you'll notice, the colors don't follow the same pattern as the swirl, and that's why.

This was all mentioned before, but in about nine separate posts. This is, last I heard, the way Jackson does it.

Comment

Nice explanation Mariah, thanks man! Will help a lot! Well, do you know someone wich did this finish?

Comment

Working...
                              X