Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single Conductor PUP, installation issues, HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Conductor PUP, installation issues, HELP!

I have a brand new SD '59 single conductor pup that I picked up from a JCF brother. I installed it in the neck along with a JB in the bridge. I'm not the best at soldering but I can make it work [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyway, the neck pup is noisy like it's not grounded properly and the output is very, very low. I check my connections, I even tried attaching the braided wire cover to the copper shielding with a spot of solder and it only made it worse.

BTW, the bridge pup works fine.

Can somebody help me out here? I think I've tried everything I can think of. My next step is to replace the 3-way switch.

Thanks,

Re: Single Conductor PUP, installation issues, HELP!

sounds like a bad ground; is the pickup wired to the pot or directly to the switch? reason i ask is that if it's wired to the pot, get some soldering flux, and put a few drops on a qtip and apply it to the pot. lay the braided wire right on the pot and give it a good dollop of solder.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The pup is wired direct to the 3-way switch. Should I still try grounding it to the pot? I think I'll try it, can't hurt.

Comment

is the switch the kind that has the aluminum box around it, or is it, well... kinda open. like a gibson?

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

It's an open one, kinda like a Gibson. The new one I have has the box around it.

Comment

Working...
          X