Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

painting - what should i use for pinstripes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting - what should i use for pinstripes?

I plan to make a relatively complex graphic design on my rhoads body, what should i use to make the pinstripes? The desired result would be similar to this beautiful roswell rhoads, except white pinstripe on darker color:

"It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Re: painting - what should i use for pinstripes?

For something like that, you'd start by painting the body whatever color your pins will be, mask the design, then paint the body the color you want it, then peel the mask tape off.

Or you could hop down to Auto Zone and grab some auto pinstriping instead of painting them on.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

get pinstriper's tape. 3M makes some; you want the 1/8" thickness.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        get pinstriper's tape. 3M makes some; you want the 1/8" thickness.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup...and a couple of fresh sharp x-acto blades and a steady hand
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

thanks guys, that's pretty much what i was thinking of doing.

but wouldn't the difference in paint thickness cause problems?
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

that's where your clear coat comes in.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I would also be very light with the first coat over the pinstripers tape. Too wet a coat and the finish can bleed under the tape. I usually hit it with two very dry coats with a few minutes of flash between them, then one medium wet coat.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I would also be very light with the first coat over the pinstripers tape. Too wet a coat and the finish can bleed under the tape. I usually hit it with two very dry coats with a few minutes of flash between them, then one medium wet coat.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">This is excellent advice! </font>
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I'm a little slow, so once again for me: are you saying that you can put on pinstriper's tape and then clear coat over it? So that you have that tape locked up and sealed under the coat? Does it look proffessional - do pro's actually do this? Does it take gallons of clear to even out the tape "bumps"?

Another one, the expression "flash" when talking about painting.... could someone explain that to me, you know really spell it out for me :-) I'm a little uncertain what it really means.
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

When I think of pinstripers tape my thinking is say you want a white pin stripe on a black body, prime the guitar white, after a couple days of curing tape off the design, paint the black, remove the tape and you have a void left where the black paint only went on the tape.

Flash is the period of time right after application when it goes from liquid to a tacky, somewhat solid film. It releases the most vapors atr this point as well and stinks to high heaven.

More tips. If the tape you use likes to bleed (or if you want to be sure you will get a clean line), after applying the pinstripe tape seal the tape up with a dry coat of clear, let stand for 20 minutes, then do the dry color coat followed by medium wet coat as described above. Remove the pinstripers tape within a couple of hours after painting as if you allow it to sit too long it may chip the color coat as you pull it off. You want the finish to be cured enough to touch, but still soft enough to remove the tape.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Maybe i by accident invented a new time saving trick: just leave that tape there and clearcoat over it. Saves a lot of time and paint. Cool,eh? Heh, guess not.
                      Henrik
                      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Test it for compatibility, if it works, do it. Blood Splatter showed me an original Charvel a while back we are both feel had a skull graphic cut from vinyl, detailed with an airbrush and cleared. Now the clear finish is seperating from that vinyl.

Comment

thanks again for the advice. i guess i should carefully remove the tape starting by peeling the ends off with a sharp blade, right? .... and for color, should i really just let the primer show through, or should i add a layer of "real" white paint on the top for good measure? sure it will look ok?

&gt; that's where your clear coat comes in.

exactly what i was talking about.... isn't it more difficult to get an even clear-coat if there's a "bumped" area in the paint?

oh and i can't find 1/8" pinstripe tape in the hardware stores, smallest i could find is 1/4.

Comment

Working...
                          X