Where to buy lemon/linseed/tung oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy lemon/linseed/tung oil?

Stupidest question I've ever asked. There are no guitar stores nearby, so where can I purchase lemon oil, linseed oil, or tung oil? I'm gonna finally get around to oiling my fretboards since I've let my tech do it for me in the past. So, where? I've got stuff like WalMart, grocery stores, and hardware stores nearby. I want to make this a one-stop thing. Gas ain't cheap these days, you know. The less driving, the better. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Where to buy lemon/linseed/tung oil?

you can get lemon oil and linseed oil at walmarts paint and staining section; thats where i got mine. other then that try a hardware store.

Comment

Lowes, Home Depot, ACE Hardware, and probably any other hardware store. Even Wal-Mart had it the last time I remember.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Go to a woodwind shop and buy Bore Oil. This is the oil that they use on the insides of woodwind instruments. I've been using it on my rosewood and ebony fretboards. Looks good, feels nice.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Very much appreciated, brothers! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] A quick trip to WalMart (and possibly Home Hardware or Canadian Tire if needed) should do it then! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

go forth, young sir, and procure your essential oils! but while you're saving gas, save the money you'd waste on the lemon oil. don't bother with it, linseed will work much better than lemon oil.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yes Sully, I've read your sticky topic... VERY handy!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'll have to actually see what is available at the store. mm2002 recommended tung oil after my fretboard ebonizing projects, but you also mentioned that linseed oil also acts like a sealer and so I will probably choose one of those two. Gotta remember to pick up a toothbrush to clean the boards with too... I have none at home (my family uses electric toothbrushes). [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

y'know.... that electric toothbrush ain't a bad idea!
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  y'know.... that electric toothbrush ain't a bad idea!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="yellow">Ruh Roh Raggy...can you imagine if Sully and Newc get together with this idea and make the "Powered Nutnoose" [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

The JCF will never be the same again [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously...not a bad idea at all NOTP [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Oh man, "powered nutnoose"... I think you just coined a new term on the JCF. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hmm, the electric toothbrush WOULD be great for cleaning the fretboards... they're gentle yet powerful and highly efficient. mm2002 recommends scrubbing the fretboards before applying the dye, so I might whip up a soap solution and use it with the electric toothbrush. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

...Maybe I'll make a video for all of this along the lines of Easton's Floyd setup video, electric toothbrush and all. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      <font color="yellow">Ruh Roh Raggy...can you imagine if Sully and Newc get together with this idea and make the "Powered Nutnoose" [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds quick and painless, and you'll never have trouble hitting those high notes again
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        ...Maybe I'll make a video for all of this along the lines of Easton's Floyd setup video, electric toothbrush
                        and all. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

heh...yeah, and at the end, have a similar toothbrush out of sight, but stick it in your mouth for a gross out factor.

sully
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Hell, lemon oil can even be found at most grocery stores. I quit using lemon oil back in 1999 and now I only use Hoppe's Gun Oil (available at Wally-Mart) or 3 in 1 oil.
                          "POOP"

Comment

Powered nutnoose?!? Man, that'll keep all the unnecessary wear and tear off my hands. [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Alright, went to WalMart yesterday and got some Weiman lemon oil. They didn't have anything else, just lemon oil. And the only other brand was Old English lemon oil, but that was a smaller bottle for the price. So I got the Weiman being the cheapass that I am. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X