Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star project with pics!

Hey folks,
    Some of you may remember awhile back I posted some pics of me in my misspent youth with my S.D. Charvel Star. I vowed to make a replica of it, and here's what I got! It started out innocently enough...just a simple black Star body with a red spiderweb graphic. But, never being one to leave well enough alone, I decided to do something different. So, I made a 2 piece hardtail mahogany body at work:
    Plain star body
    Then, I decided to put a 5A, bookmatched flame maple veneer on it:
    Bookmatched Flame Maple veneer
    After it dried, I trimmed the veneer down, and added a thin line of wood putty around the body, to make sure I had a smooth body line when I did a final sanding:
    Trimmed Star
    Next was the first of 3 dye jobs. (NOT stain!)First up, black dye:
    Star dyed black
    Next, a light sanding to bring out the "upper" grain, and leave the black stain in the "lower" grain:
    Black dye, sanded
    Next, it was time to lay down the main dye, overtop of the black:
    Blue over black dye
    The nexy step will be to lightly sand the blue dye, just enough to where I sand the highest grain of the flame maple. This will give me the "3-D" effect, and then I'll clearcoat it. More pics as the project continues! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Re: Star project with pics!

wow that looks really good. superb work.

Comment

Wish I had the talent that some of the people on this board do. Then again I do not have enough time to keep up with all the hobbies I have now. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Looking good so far. Can not wait to see the next progress report.

Comment

Ah geez, you guys are gonna make me resurrect my old star body, I can feel it already... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] that flame veneer is sweet!

Comment

Wow, i think it will be beautiful! Great effect when sanding the top grain down. Yes, keep the pics coming, please and thanks for posting.
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Looks great. I really like the figured maple top.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

That turned out really well. Nice work! I'm curious about the how thick the veneer is, it looks pretty thin. Will it ever have any potential problems of cracking?

Comment

Hey Dude,
                The veneer is 3/32,which is 1/32 away from being an 8th inch thick, so it's not as thin as it apprears. Once it's on there and clearcoated, there won't be any problems with it splitting. However, when it's raw and you're trying to trim it down, it REALLY wants to split along the grain! I had to move really slowly while cutting it, and used a brand new razor blade every few inches just to make sure it wouldn't split. Quilted maple veneer is much easier to work with. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Tony, how do you get a flat smooth top when done?

I'm thinking that the veneer is quite bumpy on its surface and i don't think you are sanding it flat, so are you counting on using massive amounts of clear to "fill" it up?
                  Henrik

Comment

Tony...great work bro! That is one beautiful flame top!

Comment

<font color="aqua">Looks great bro! Very nice job so far [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I just ain't gonna let this thread fade away [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Tony, what's up? No news on the Star?
                        Henrik

Comment

That looks awesome [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Can't wait to see the finished
                          guitar.
                          Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Working...
                          X