Guitars witn no Tone knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitars witn no Tone knob

Probably a dumb question, but here goes. I've been seeing alot of guitars lately that don't have a tone knob. What would be the tone setting on these kinds of guitars? Is it like haveing the tone knob all the way on or off? Always wondered since I always play with my tone knob all the way up anyway.

Thanks in advance for you replies.

Ken

Re: Guitars witn no Tone knob

All the way up. Most bright setting.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Cool...Thanks for the reply. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Related question to the guys reading this:

Will a guitar with no tone pot have a bleed off capacitor anyway in its circuitry? How is a factory no-tone-guitar wired up?
        Henrik

Comment

A tone knob, all the way up is actually just straight through with no effect. All a regular tone knob does is bleed off the high end to ground as you turn it down. If there is no tone, then there would be no cap either. Actives is a whole other ball game.

Jim
          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            A tone knob, all the way up is actually just straight through with no effect.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Not really. A tone control in the equation seems to put a load on the sound and take away a tiny bit of high end than if there were only a volume control.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That's what i'm talking about. When the volume and the tone controls are at "10" or fully turned "up", they shouldn't affect the sound, but electronically you still have three components coupled in parallel with the pickup: a 250K resistor, a 500K resistor and a 22nF capacitor. And they will affect the circuitry.

That's why there is a difference in treble using 250K or 500K for volume pots on most passive pickups.

So i was expecting a non-tone control guitar would have some sort of component (maybe just a capacitor) installed to simulate this "flaw".
              Henrik

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]
                A tone knob, all the way up is actually just straight through with no effect.

[/ QUOTE ]
                Not really. A tone control in the equation seems to put a load on the sound and take away a tiny bit of high end than if there were only a volume control.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense, I guess I never did a comparison to hear the difference. I just thought you wouldn't be able to notice, but then again, like I said. I never did a comparison.

Jim

Comment

If you have a volume/tone setup and you want to try a little experiment - just desolder the tone pot from the circuit. With high output pickups, you will notice an increase in brightness and highend - useful if you have a dark sounding pickup or guitar. Over on the Les Paul Forum, this is the secret weapon of LP Classic owners with the hot 500T bridge pickup.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Ya know it makes perfect sense, I just never tried it. Isn't this the same theory behind using a 1 meg pot? I've heard it's more "open." Less of a load. Falls in line with the difference of a 250k vs a 500k like jackson1 mentioned.

interesting.

Jim

No one pick up guitar that I have ever seen has had anything in it to "copy" the load of a tone knob though, but then again, I haven't seen tham all!

Comment

There may be a difference but it is slight to the point of inaudible.

Comment

I did this on two Ibanez 570's w/Tone Zones this week. Yes, you can here it.

Comment

I'm having a problem that relates to this....(so I'll bring back the thread)

I rewired one of my guitars......it had 1 volume & 1 tone. Now it has 2 volumes--one for the neck, one for the bridge. Pickups are SD Jazz neck & JB bridge. Now the guitar is too hot...especially the JB. I've tried backing the pickups down, but it really hasn't helped. When I try to play live with that guitar cranked up through my Mesa dual rectifier, I get a lot of uncontrollable squeal that wasn't there before.

Is there a remedy for this, wiring wise? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, it shouldn't squeel due to not having a tone pot. Squeel is usually attributed to the pickups being microphonic. But I guess you did not have this problem before? And you did not damage the pickups, right?

Is it a brightness problem? Are they too bright for your rig? Try turning down the treble and presence. See if that helps any. I've run JBs and Jazzes without a tone knob, and not had any problems.
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

Does it only happen at high volumes? If there's a hum at low volumes, it could be a grounding issue. If it's the same pickup, and it wasn't microphonic before, it shouldn't be now unless there was some damage to it.
                              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                              X