question about leveling frets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about leveling frets

Is it easy to do yourself? If so what tools do I need? I have 3 guitars that need a fret dressing and leveling..Is it cheaper to get a pro to do it?

Re: question about leveling frets

<font color="yellow">Me, personally, unless I had been taught by somebody who had a lot of experience doing them or practiced on yard sale specials to a good degree of success, I wouldn't try to do it yourself [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

There is a large margin for totally ruining your frets requiring either a pro grind/polish or full refret if bad enough.

I'd pay somebody to do it personally.

Another idea is to ask the tech to allow you to watch them while they do it so you can see the process.

This is just my opinion, but be careful [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

You have to be careful that is for sure, once fret is gone you can't put it back. Best to read up on it as much as possible to know what is entailed and then practice doing fretwork on a junk neck. You'll need a straightedge that is true at least 18",a feelers guage, a good machinst 6" ruler, a leveling file, a diamond cut fret crowning file with a 2-3 different cuts.. that should get you started.
      Ideally, your fretboard should be leveled, but if you're only repairing worn/uneven frets, unless they're totally shot with no life left there's no sense pulling them.

Try this link to see, level/crowning is halfway down the page. http://www.fretnot.ws/Fretting3.htm

Comment

Hye kramerhater ,
        I dont know if your in my neck of the wood but I do this stuff professionally.
        If you can bring them over I will give you a decent deal.
        Otherwise, we can hook up via phone and I can give you some tips.

Comment

Im not near houston ..I appreciate all your help guys..I think im gonna get a pro to do it..I dont want to messed up my axes...what should I expect to pay??

Comment

fretwork such as a level &amp; polish can be 50-200.00 depending on the process and work involved. They have a machine now called the PLEK that does the level within the highest degrees of tolerance but it costs about 2 bills.

Comment

Working...
            X