Rusting hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusting hardware

I just found a really good deal on a sweet guitar at a local shop. The thing is in practically brand new condition except for the hardware. The saddle screws are all rusted as well as the lock screws. And the bridge has little rust spots all over it. Will WD40 or something else clean this up or will I have to replace all the hardware?

Re: Rusting hardware

WD40 should do. Just put some on and scrub with an old toothbrush. If it's really bad, you may want to soak the hardware in a bowl of it for a few hours.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Really?

I thought rust was non-reversable.

Comment

If the hardware is chrome, go to your local auto parts store and get chrome polish (for old bumbers and whatnot). If hte hardware is black, alot of times the rust has already destroyed the black paint, maybe try a little wire brush or dremel, and some black touch up paint? The little lockdown screws and stuff you are better off just replacing, they only cost a few bucks from stew-mac. Rust isn't really reversible, but light surface rust can be removed and then protected against.

Comment

For my white RR1, the suggestion was made to get some spray or drip teflon lubricant (the stuff they use for bikes and the such, I use the "Tri-Flow" brand). I took all my trem parts and any of the other rusty bits, filled up a clean disposable container about 1/3 the way up (so that all the parts would be under the solution) and soaked the trem bits in there for about 3 days, three times a day popping open the lid and giving the container a little shake to loosen the crap that was on the metal parts. At the end I took all the parts out, scrubbed them with a brush to get any of the loosened rust / junk and then dried all the parts off. After the parts were dried I ended up with a much cleaner trem. One of my friends thought I bought a new trem for the guitar. This trem was black and it worked fine. Unless the trem is really heavily rusted it should look a lot better.

Comment

Working...
          X