Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mega switch or extra pickup?

hey folks,
    I have a question about the mega switch. If I understand it correctly, the mega switch is a 5 position switch that allows you to get 2 and 4 "Strat sound" positions with just coil tapping 2 humbuckers, correct? I'm debating on whether to try the mega switch, or install a single coil and make my Model 5 into a h/s/h. Anyone using a mega switch?

Re: Mega switch or extra pickup?

I have the "mega" switch in both of my Ibanez guitars. It is outstanding. I would compare it to the 5 position rotary switch that PRS has. Great in between tones.

Comment

I don't like the mega switch because if you wire it to do the 2 & 4 strat positions, you lose the dual humbucker combination, which I like. I'm using a super switch from stew mac (dual pole 5 way) that gets me the 2 & 4 strat position and the dual hummer in the middle.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Cool, glad I asked! I do have a PRS CE with the rotary switch, and while I get some great tones out if it, it doesn't give me the "Strat quack". That's a good comparison there JG! :-) I think I'll try the Stew-mac switch that Turk recommended and see where that gets me. I love this place!

Comment

I have one in my Fusion Plus. It was wired from the factory to give you a choice of bridge bucker, inner coils, both humbuckers, outers coils, and neck bucker (probably not in that order!) It's a versatile setup.

Although, you can wire it to give you different selections, depending on what you want. Toejam's Fender is wired up similar to my Jackson, but in one of the positions just gives you a single coil in the neck position.

I think Ibanez wire them up differently again.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

My Shannon Soloist has DiMarzio Super 3 bridge, Duncan Hot Rails middle, and Duncan Hot Rails neck pickups. There's a 5 way megaswitch in there to split the neck and bridge hums into single coil quack. I have other guitars that do the normal 2 and 4 positions.

Ideal setup would be to get THREE EMG-89s and have individual mini-toggles to split from EMG-85 mode to EMG-SA mods. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Also, just wondering... is there such a thing as a 6-way or 7-way megaswitch? I love my current setup (read above) but I'd also love to be able to split the middle Hot Rails as well... ultra versatility without having three massive EMG-89 routes in my precious guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for the info, everyone. This sounds like a great idea for my SL4. I never liked the fact that it has a (3 way) blade switch instead of a toggle (like my SL2H), but swapping it for a super switch will turn that disadvantage into an advantage!

Comment

Haven't heard of more than 5-way blade switches, but have you considered using push-pull volume pots as well? That could give you what you need.

I have a two-hum Soloist with a 5-way superswitch and two push-pull volume pots and sometimes i get lost in all the sounds it can generate [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I forgot, yes definitely go with the Superswitch from StewMac. It comes with black & white knobs and mounting screws and is very well documented on the stewmac site.
                    Henrik

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I have a two-hum Soloist with a 5-way superswitch and two push-pull volume pots and sometimes i get lost in all the sounds it can generate [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Man, that's overkill. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I guess CTS makes some push-pull pots? I mean, I know EMG does since my KE3 has an EMG-89 in the neck that I use an EMG push-pull volume pot for...

Or I could just swap out the middle Hot Rails for a Vintage Rails and finally have my H/S/H combo that I so desire... but I really do like the middle Hot Rails since I've never had a middle humbucker before.

I want my custom shop three EMG-89 guitar now. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I am not familiar with CTS but StewMac has got it all here: potszzzz

Custom shop, why not cut down on the number of frets to squeeze another hum in there? 4-hum 18 fretter! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                        Henrik

Comment

Doesn't Nigel Tufnel's guitar have four humbuckers in it, or was I imagining it? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I was merely mentioning CTS because I think that's the company whose pots are in USA Jacksons, if I remember correctly. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I have seen a picture of that guitar, Nigel Tufnel's 8 single coil guitar. I have the movie "This is Spinal Tap", and I cant find that guitar in the movie anywhere?

Did I just miss it somehow? or are there 2 Spinal Tap movies?

Comment

it was never in the movie. Wasn't built until years later.

But it has been featured in a few guitar magazines over the years, as has his Jackson Marshall Stack guitar (with removable second cab!)
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X