Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a tone control be used as a volume control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a tone control be used as a volume control?

Say I've got a master volume, master tone, passive H/S/S pickup configuration, five way megaswitch. Can I use the tone control as a volume control for the bridge pickup ONLY, and the volume control as a volume for the neck and middle pickups ONLY? I basically want the bridge pickup on full volume the whole time, hence it will be far away at the former tone control, while the former volume is now just a volume for the neck and middle pickups which I like to play around with the volume for cleans and stuff.

Re: Can a tone control be used as a volume control?

yes...remove the capacitor and solder the end terminal on the pot to ground.

Comment

You'll also need to change your wiring to accomodate this. A typical 5 way switch has all of the pickups coming in and one hot lead going out to a master volume. You'll need to connect the pickups to the volumes first, then to the switch, or find a switch that has a hot out for each position - the mega switch may have, this, but I'm not familiar with it.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

good point Turk...forgot to mention that. The caffeine hasn't jump-started my brain yet...LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="yellow">NOTP...please tell me you aren't thinking of modding the Shannon [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

Re: Can a tone control be used as a volume control

The Shannon already CAME modded. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The stock pickups are nowhere to be found, but that's alright since I know what pickups are in it, and if I ever decided to sell her (not bloody likely! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), then I know what Seymours I need to buy.

Well, actually I was thinking about it, trying to weigh out the pros and cons of doing so. Cons include my laziness and inability to solder, especially since I don't own a soldering iron. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But I've played guitars with one master volume all my life... I guess that's another con. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks for the quick informative replies, guys. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I also find tone controls rather useless. Anyway, it is an easy mod to reverse if you don't like it.

Comment

Well, for the longest time, I was pondering putting an active circuit or something in there... you know, along the lines of the JE1200 or whatever... then I found a use for the tone control, then lately I've been using it a little bit less...

I hate when my tonal tastes fluctuate. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X