Pickup help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup help

I am looking to swap out my JB out of my SL2H MAH.I am going with either the duncan custom SH-5 or the distortion,I think.I would appreciate any comments or opinions on either one.I wanted to throw the Adder PLus ones in there but it has been 4 1/2 months and no sign of them.I like 80's tones to slayer,killswitch,etc.Thanks.

Re: Pickup help

IMO the Distortion is one of the best pickups Duncan makes, right up there in classic usability with the Hot Rails, Jazz Neck and JB. You can't go wrong with it if you want a thick, chunky high output sound. That said, it will do that slayer, high gain sound very well and stay very crispy and clear while doing it. Personally, I love lower output pickups in a mahogany guitar. They seem to respond better to the warmth of the mahogany and retain upper mid and treble chime. I love the Screamin' Demon in my Gibson SG whereas I was never a big fan of the JB when I had it in the same guitar - it accentuated the lower mids of the mahogany.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I like the Custom better myself, but for stuff like Slayer and Killswitch Engage, you might wanna give the EMG 85 a shot.

Comment

I actually have 3 guitars loaded with EMG's,and I am starting not to favor them as much as I did.I definitely am starting to move away from them.I will try a distortion in this one,and maybe a custom in my KV-2.Thanks for the help guys,I am forever swapping and tinkering.

Comment

It depends on what type of sound you are looking for and what amp you use.
          If you alrteady have EMGS in other guitars you own and moving away from them, why not to try with Duncan Distortion.
          It's great pickup that has a lot of gain and power.
          I love Dimarzio pickups but couple of my guitars have Duncan and I love them too.
          [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

the APC's will be worth the wate!!!

give mel a call and ask about your order. he won't mind.
            ~JW
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

the custom is the best of the custom series, and by far the best pickup on the planet. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

You can't go wrong with the Distortion, best metal riffing pickup ever.

Comment

You can also try the duncan forum, there's a lot of info on the pickups over there. I like my emg's.

Comment

For Slayer, get the EMG 81 or 85 and crank the midrange on your amp. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

For passive, I'm a big fan of the DiMarzio Super Distortion or X2N.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Toe, did you ever get a Humbucker From Hell and tried it out?
                      Henrik
                      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Toe, did you ever get a Humbucker From Hell and tried it out?

[/ QUOTE ]
                        No, I never did. I was going to put that in the neck of my Les Paul with a Breed neck position in the bridge, but I decided to go EMG 85/81 instead. I've still got the Breed laying around with nothing to put it in. I've also got a Super D, Super 2, X2N and PAF Pro laying around that are also homeless at the moment. I need more guitars! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sell those pickups and buy another guitar with the money. There! Then you can swap out the... no, wait ... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] heh!
                          Henrik
                          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
                          X