Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood of choise....what will it be ?

hi all
    im going to get my self a new axe...(lucky me).
    im confused with the wood types.
    will some one explain pls what is the tone charcter of Basswood , mahogany and alder.
    thanks.

Re: wood of choise....what will it be ?

from the warmoth site:

Basswood (Tilia americana): This is a lighter weight wood normally producing Strat® bodies under 4 lbs. The color is white, but often has nasty green mineral streaks in it. This is a closed-grain wood, but it can absorb a lot of finish. This is not a good wood for clear finishes; It is quite soft, and does not take abuse well. Soundwise, Basswood has a nice, warm tone.

Mahogany (Khaya ivorensis): We use African Mahonany in our production. It is a medium to heavy weight wood with a Strat® body averaging 5 lbs. or more. Mahogany is a fine grained wood with good musical properties. The tone is warm and full with good sustain. The grain is easy to fill. Looks good with clear or transparent red finish.

Alder (Alnus rubra): Alder is used extensively for bodies because of its lighter weight (about four pounds for a Strat® body) and its full sound. It's closed grain makes this wood easy to finish. Alder's natural color is a light tan with little or no distinct grain lines. Alder has been the mainstay for Fender bodies for many years. It looks good with a sunburst or a solid color finish. Because of its fine characteristics and lower price, Alder is our most popular wood and it grows all around us here in Washington State.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

What?? No Poplar??

Let me be of service:

Poplar: Gooey, greasy wood, really ugly, really heavy, really cheap. Used by lots of guitar makers when churning out thousands of solid color or graphic painted guitars to people who wouldn't know a good sounding resonant guitar if they were hit in the forehead with it. Has all the tonal qualities of Sully's Pabst Blue Ribbon farts. Complete shite (the wood, not Sully's PBR farts).

Comment

now chuck, i take offense....my PBR farts are closer in tone to ash, not poplar. they're lightweight and bright sounding, with great sustain and warmth!

sully
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Hmm...maybe it's all in the EQ.
          I think it sorta depends on where you're standin', too.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            What?? No Poplar??

Let me be of service:

Poplar: Gooey, greasy wood, really ugly, really heavy, really cheap. Used by lots of guitar makers when churning out thousands of solid color or graphic painted guitars to people who wouldn't know a good sounding resonant guitar if they were hit in the forehead with it. Has all the tonal qualities of Sully's Pabst Blue Ribbon farts. Complete shite (the wood, not Sully's PBR farts).

[/ QUOTE ]
            I'd take poplar any day over (b)asswood!!! Poplar is pretty similar in tone to alder. My Dinky HX is poplar... lightest guitar I own, too. The poplar Charvel Model 6 and 5A I had were kinda heavy, though.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              now chuck, i take offense....my PBR farts are closer in tone to ash, not poplar. they're lightweight and bright sounding, with great sustain and warmth!

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

got any sound clips, oh Mighty Chocolate Lips?
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Ok.....what do you think will give the ultimate kick for progressive metal and fusion ? Basswood or other? I'm thinking more and more about basswood for the new axe.

Comment

JOE SATRIANI's as well as most ibanez guitars are made of basswood - as well as the older charvel model and fusion series.

high end jacksons are mostly made from alder (as well as high end fenders)

gibson's are mostly made from mohagany.

most tele's are made from ash

and almost all the low end guitars in the world are made from poplar (aka sully's stinky ass) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  (not to be confused with Sully Guitars which are made from fine peices of top choice wood)
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Why is maple rarely used for body's?

Too bright sounding?
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Ok.....what do you think will give the ultimate kick for progressive metal and fusion ? Basswood or other? I'm thinking more and more about basswood for the new axe.

[/ QUOTE ]

alder.

personally, i'd stay away from basswood; it truly doesn't take abuse well, dings easily, etc. my only basswood guitar took 3 pickup swaps before it sounded good. i've never heard anyone say anything bad about alder, other than it can be hard to get at times. however, i've got a guitar that's a really heavy ash with a maple cap on it, and man, it sounds awesome.

sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Why is maple rarely used for body's?

Too bright sounding?

[/ QUOTE ]
                        That, and the fact that it's pretty heavy.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That, and you would have to steal your grandmother's 2 inch thick coffee table. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I had NO idea there was this much negativity towards poplar. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I happen to like it... I'd better, otherwise I'd despise my Shannon. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, we can't be as "Poplar" as I am. Wood is density; weigh and , most of all, age. It is a matter of preference. I have had guitars made of all kinds of wood. Old is good. Look at the 'tars that sell for big bucks. It is old stuff that sells. God doesn't make wood like he used to. "And I am not an ALDER boy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]."
                              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                              X