What guitars have oiled necks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What guitars have oiled necks?

Alright, I've tried enough guitars with necks that have clearcoat on the back of them. I also have one raw-necked acoustic... or at least it feels raw. I like them enough, but I am curious about trying out a guitar with an oiled neck. It should be common enough that I can go to a music store and there would be plenty there for my test drive, so nothing like a Jackson SLATQH which is nonexistent in my town, please. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks!

Re: What guitars have oiled necks?

Well the import ones (dkmg and others) some WR1 , PC1.

Comment

Are those imports not "satin" finished necks? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

And I played a WR1... it was a painted one. I still haven't seen an oiled neck WR1 in person before. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Comment

the imports are Satin finished. I'm drawing a blank... I think a PC-1 is it for Jackson although mine feels raw, not oiled. Not sure if they are all raw. What I can tell you is that I like it. I've converted tons of finished necks to tung oil for clients. The cool thing about tung oil is that you can have a number of different finishes depending on how many coats you use. I did a 7 string Ibanez S series once and the guy wanted it oiled, but he didn't like the raw feel so I did 4 coats and it came out close to a satin finished neck. 1 or 2 coats would feel more raw. I agree though. You need to play one to make your decision.

Good luck!

Jim
        "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Never seen a PC1 here either... although I badly want to try one out. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Try a Peavey Wolfgang if there are any around you. The Korean Specials aren't oiled though, I think they're satin finished, but all the US models are oiled.

Comment

Where do you buy tung oil?

Comment

Bolt-on USA Charvels and Jacksons, and some few neckthroughs (WR1, SLATQH?) have oiled necks.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Bolt-on USA Charvels and Jacksons, and some few neckthroughs (WR1, SLATQH?) have oiled necks.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  The SLATQH now comes with a painted neck instead of an oiled one. Not sure when that changed. I think in 2003? I think you'll be out of luck trying to find a Jackson with an oiled neck to try it out. Do you have a cheap neck kickin around? You can always try doing it yourself. That or try looking for any guitar with an oiled neck. I have a question about oiled necks, wait, I'll don't want to hyjack. I'll start another thread.

Jim
                  "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

The old San Dimas /Ontario bolts on have oiled necks, I have one of each Charvel/Jackson and they feel much faster than the satin finish. I have an 84 strat that tahe neck has been pretty much stripped, much faster and easier to play.
                    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Regarding where to buy Tung Oil, I bought some at OSH hardware store. Stewart McDonalds has it too:
                      http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishin..._Tung_Oil.html

Comment

ah, cool, thanks.

Comment

PC1, DK1, and any of the new Charvel USA Standards.

...And I thought the recent import Charvels (pseudo-strathead) had oiled necks, too? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

DK1. Damn. And that was the only guitar I didn't try out the last time I went to the music store. Damn. I shall next time!!!

Comment

Best necks in the Jackson line, IMHO. And not just because they're oiled.

Comment

Working...
                              X