EMG Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG Question...

Hey guys. I have a question... I have an Ibanez RG3120 and I bought some EMG's for it. Now, my questions is: Do I have to make an extra hole in the body to put the 9v battery or can I put the batery in let's say where the volume and tone pots are? Thanks in advance.

Re: EMG Question...

Some guitars have enough room for the battery, some don't. It varies.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

If there's room in the control cavity, it's not a problem. Just make sure to wrap the battery in a little piece of foam (like the one the pickups came with) to make sure that the battery doesn't come in contact with the volume/tone posts, or wires.
      ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I have an RG560 with EMGs, and the cavity is large enough to house the 9V battery. If your RG's cavity is cut like mine, then there should be no problem!

Comment

Oh yeah...Also, will a 5-way switch work with EMG's or will I need a 3-way one?

Comment

I don't think the 5 way switch will work the same way it does with your stock pickups. The Ibanez 5 way switch does all kinds of coil switching and tapping.

Comment

...If you wire up the EMGs the same way, just replacing the pickups, couldn't you keep the special wiring of the 5-way switch? Unless the EMGs are not four-conductor or something... the only EMG humbucker I know that is meant to be split is the EMG-89.

I can't believe I've never thought about that before! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I know Venomboy has a Stealth HX that's got three humbuckers with EMGs, an 81/58/85, and it's got a five-way switch and he's able to use the bridge and middle or middle and neck pups at the same time, as well as each one individually, but I don't think you'll be able to use the five-way with just two EMG pickups unless they're 89s.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                X