Floyd w/o Locknut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd w/o Locknut?

I recently aquired an interesting specimen... *cough* Dr Newc *cough* ... this has a floyd...but no lock nut....

If i block the trem, its still pretty much a normal trem, right?

Newc... this neck is HUGE.

~E

Re: Floyd w/o Locknut?

YOu can have a FLoyd w/o a locknut if the tuners are locking. If you block the trem, you essentially have a hard tail bridge. If you leave the FLoyd functional, but have normal tuners, it is kind of a "single locking" setup (locked at the trem, free at the nut and tuners).

Comment

Carvin is now making their guitars w/floyds without lock nut
      http://www.carvin.com/guitars-in-stock/big/76366b.jpg.
      I thought this weird, but I just bought a used DC135C with this arrangement and it actually works. The locking tuners and straight string pull and a 'slippery' nut all combine together.

Comment

Actually Carvin has been doing that for years. A former roommate of mine got a Carvin with Sperzels instead of a locking nut. I personally would rather have the locking nut and save the sperzels for Wilkinsons and V-Trems.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

I'm not sure that it would work that great with a Jackson 6 on a side head stock. The tuners don't line up with the nut and the strings the whole length of the fret board. Wouldn't the strings come off of the nut if you did a dive bomb? Carvin's head stock designs have the tuners lined up perfectly with the strings the whole length of the fret board so I can se it working on them. I can see this working with the Jackson 4x2 3x3 Jackson headstocks. If it's Newcenstein built, I'm sure it works fine.
          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Actually Carvin has been doing that for years.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Yes, they have, but they offer a locking nut (LN option) for like $40 extra (only $20 with their half-off options). Plenty of people on the Carvin board have said the Floyd stays in tune just fine with the Sperzel locking tuners and there's not really a need for the locking nut, though. Other people feel a little more secure with the nut.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I'm not sure that it would work that great with a Jackson 6 on a side head stock. The tuners don't line up with the nut and the strings the whole length of the fret board. Wouldn't the strings come off of the nut if you did a dive bomb? Carvin's head stock designs have the tuners lined up perfectly with the strings the whole length of the fret board so I can se it working on them. I can see this working with the Jackson 4x2 3x3 Jackson headstocks. If it's Newcenstein built, I'm sure it works fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
              What, mine? I've got Sperzels on my SD Charvel (V-trem / strathead) and my JRS-2 (Wilky / reverse pointed) they seem to work fine on both...
              Occupy JCF

Comment

its fine, i removed the lock from my mod6 & usually take the string hold downs off the lock nut of my floyded guitars. I dont block my trems & they stay in tune pretty well. but i make sure ive got plenty of wrap around the tuners unless its got locking tuners. i guess its from learning on a guitar with a NON fine tuner floyd with no lock & just stuck with it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                  What, mine? I've got Sperzels on my SD Charvel (V-trem / strathead) and my JRS-2 (Wilky / reverse pointed) they seem to work fine on both...

[/ QUOTE ]
                  I've never tried it. Your charvel would be fine because the tuners are aligned with the strings(it's a straight shot from the nut to the tuner). Your reverse pointy has the wilky which I don't think will do as an extreme dive bomb as a Floyd. I had an AT1 with a wilky and I never had a problem either, but I never used it for dive bombs. I think if you are heavy on a floyd, you need a locking nut with a pointy head, but I could be wrong. Just MHO.
                  "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

It's a Warmoth baritone conversion Strathead, so it's got a fairly straight pull. I was gonna send it off to be Nutted, and shave down the back of the neck because it's like a Firebird Pro neck, but then "someone" offered me a trade deal [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

bah, newc! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

go watch black heaven and laugh for the rest of the week.

~E

Comment

Oh man, I DID watch it, and it was a total laugh [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Loved it when the kid hurled the guy's Schenker record out the window [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        And the wife just throwing guitars in the trash [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I also watched Death And Rebirth - I couldn't follow it cuz of all the time-warping - made me nauseous. End Of Evangeleon made a little bit of sense, then I watched the whole series. What a bunch of whiners [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        Damn I kept expecting them to come to grips with their problems and move on, but they only ended up causing the Apocalypse [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

theres lots of perspectives on true meaning of the ending.. but pretty much Shinji is a bitch, and caused the re-unification of everyone to fail. Because he rejected it, the whole thing failed, and then anyone who still had a will to exist did. otherwise. they went BOOM.

I think I lost a few brain cells when I watched Black Heaven for the first time... i was laughing too hard. If I have a wife someday, and she throws any of my jacksons out, im throwing out her shoe collection.

~E

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Yeah I can just see some guy taking out the trash and his guitars are stuffed into the bag [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As for EoE, that's pretty much what I got out of it - everyone knew it was the end and accepted it, except for Shinji, so he went on to exist forever in his little whiney bitchy world where he kept searching for an answer that only he could give himself, instead of just accepting life as it is. He whined about everything but did nothing to change it - like everything would change on its own just to suit him. "Boo hoo hoo my daddy left me at a boarding school when I was 6 boo hoo hoo I hate him boo hoo"

Rei was the only one tahht didn't have a serious issue, but then she was just one of thousands of clones [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Asuka had a SERIOUS reality problem - "I'm the absolute best and I want everyone to worship me and put me first or I'll throw a bitchfit weh weh weh". They never DID explain why they needed 14 year old kids to pilot the Evas, and why THOSE PARTICULAR mental defectives were chosen [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

On the other hand, the subtitling in the later episodes was quite hilarious at times, and downright confusing at others [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Working...
                            X