Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refretting

Hi!

I have recently been playing my old MIJ Fender Strat and the frets are really used and not straight.

Also I dont like the medium frets. Is it possible to put jumbo frets on a guitar that had medium-sized?

Re: Refretting

I think the main issue is the actual fret ridge. The fatter frets may have a more broad top, but you should be able to adjust the bridge to compensate for the lower hit on the broader fret.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Ummm sorry but I dont understand everything. If I change all the frets, its normal that I will have to adjust the action. But would there be any other issues? If thats what you are telling me, well... could you be more specific

Comment

The fret grooves have been measured to scale. If you remove the old frets the grooves are still there. When you install big frets, the only difference will be that the top of the fret will be much larger. The surface the string hits will be different. Just adjust the intonation. The only difference would be the fingerboard would get "Smaller"

Comment

Ohhh, I see. But intonation is adjustable right? Because Im also looking into an Import Roswell Rhoads and if the guitar might be screwed up (I will pay a luthier to do the job) well I dont want to risk it.

Edit : Also, does this exists? Frets with a fat profile but not as large as jumbo. Kinda like a a Fat-medium fret?

Comment

The bridge on any guitar,even the Rhoads, will adjust up or down to tune to jumbo frets. I do it by ear. All you need to do is buy a tuner and the necessary tools, you can do it yourself.

Comment

With some calcul...

Medium fret = .080" to .095"
              Jumbo fret = .100" to .110"

So lets say : (.100-.08) = 0.02 inches.

So at each fret I take 0.02 inches

|Fret|0.01-0.01-|Fret|-0.01-0.01-|Fret|

0.02 * 22 frets = 0.44"

25.5"-0.44" = 25.06" = My new scale.

I guess it wouldnt make a so big difference.

Comment

OK, Einstein [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], D=diy. (Done= Do it yourself).

Comment

Nope. If you keep the crown's highest point extacly where it was before, you don't get any differences expect the feel of playing.

But keeping in mind that this is almost impossible, the difference in the intonation is unnoticeable to the ear and your tuner I guess, if some does the good refretting job. But if someone makes one fret tone to fret on the end of the jumbo fret and other on the beginning, that makes another sense to the discussion.

Comment

Also, you might very well have to shim the nut on your guitar to prevent fretting out on the first fret.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Good point Zeeg. As to the crown. If you have seen traditional small frets, and medium frets, in comparison the jumbo fret crown looks very wide and very flat. The adjustment may be minor, but it is there.

Comment

Well what I have to say is thanks a lot for the input guys [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] That is really helpful [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X