floyd rose drop-d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floyd rose drop-d

Hi, anyone know were to order one of those little tuners that EVH invented for Floyd Rose systems so you easily can drop the sixth string from E to D?
    Thanks

Re: floyd rose drop-d

They only work if the floyd is flat mounted or blocked (no pull up). They work OK, though.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

you dont need one of dem tings, just tighten the fine tuner almost all the way, then unlock the nut and tune your low E string E, lock it back down, then fine tune it if you have too. but if your fine tuner is almost all the way up you should have enough room to tune it down to D. i have all my guitars with floyds set like that..
      subscribe to my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/deathmetal44
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P-TymW-84g
      www.soundclick.com/gothmetalshredder

Comment

Own 30+ guitars (like some of us crazy people), and tune a few drop D. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Bigfknbang, don't the rest of your strings go out of tune when you do that? Not even the slightest?
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

You get get the EVH D-Tunas from here., and many music stores. My local Guitar Centers have them, but MF.com doesn't. Interesting...

Anyway, I have them on all my Floyd guitars, but you do have to block the trem from pulling up. For me, that was no issue. Some have had success with them and TremSetters, too.

Mike
            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              you dont need one of dem tings, just tighten the fine tuner almost all the way, then unlock the nut and tune your low E string E, lock it back down, then fine tune it if you have too. but if your fine tuner is almost all the way up you should have enough room to tune it down to D. i have all my guitars with floyds set like that..

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a fully floating Floyd, then you cannot do this because you're changing the tension on the low E, throwing the other stings out of tune. Of course, you can always fiddle with the fine-tuners to bring the guitar into proper drop-D tuning...

Comment

NOTP, that's was my initial answer too, but i decided to take the subtle and diplomatic approach :-)
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a fully floating Floyd, then you cannot do this because you're changing the tension on the low E, throwing the other stings out of tune. Of course, you can always fiddle with the fine-tuners to bring the guitar into proper drop-D tuning...

[/ QUOTE ]
                  [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And by the time it takes you to do all that, you could have installed a D-Tuna. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I, like others, have a couple of my guitars Drop-D tuned. (and a couple Drop-C tuned)
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

Thanks, I might order one, but some of you scared me a little bit. It was meant to be installed on a floating system and it seems that it doesn`t work that well on those. I wanted this to be really really easy. Thing is I only own one guitar with a floyd, `cause I`m not to fond of the problems with for example tuning drop-d, and the fact that if one string breaks, then ... you know I just wanted this guitar to be a little more versatile.
                    We`ll see what happens!
                    Anyway, thanks a lot.

Comment

my guitars dont go out of tune when i do that, maybe i just cant hear too good lol. but anyway i do this on my rr1,rr3,charvel model 2. and i used to do it on my ltd kh202,kramer barreta,sl4,ke3r,dr3,rx10d,ibanez rg 450,rg770,bc rich nj mocking bird, virgin,3 warlocks,2 biches. i never noticed them going out of tune at all???
                      subscribe to my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/deathmetal44
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P-TymW-84g
                      www.soundclick.com/gothmetalshredder

Comment

It is meant to be on a floating tremolo, but when you look at the device itself, you'll realize that it in of itself is limiting when it comes to tremolo tricks. The unit replaces the low-E string lock screw in a tremolo designed like the Original Floyd (string lock screws out of the back of the unit, not on top like pro versions) with a longer screw. That extra length will extend past any recess routing that you have.
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          That extra length will extend past any recess routing that you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can always pull a Dr Newcenstein and carve away at the recess routing on the low E side to accommodate the elongation caused by the D-Tuna. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Or be like me and use a top mount Floyd. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

How much pull-up can you get on a non-recessed Floyd when you have the D-Tuna installed, Michael?

Comment

Working...
                              X