yet another question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yet another question

i've seen it on a few posts, mainly for SD jacksons. what does it mean when it's a student model? i.e. student soloist or rhoads. thanks for any help

Garry

Re: yet another question

Garry, the "student" term simply means the guitar lacked the upscale cosmetic appointments of a true "custom." So a Rhoads Student would not have sharkfin inlays, but instead would have dots. It would lack the binding of a Custom too. The fingerboards were also rosewood instead of ebony. But in no way were they different caliber guitars as far as playability, tone, and general performance. Some of the older guys can tell you how much the price difference was between Student and Custom models, I'd guess a few hundred $.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

cool, thanks joe.

Comment

I just wish there were more out thewre for sale [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I don`t know how many Soloist Students were sold,but man are they hard to find [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I for one would like a Solopist Student model, I like the looks and it would a very unique Jackson [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Well, there's an Ontario Soloist with dot inlay on eBay right now, I think it's the Japanese Flag 3 active single coil guitar sold by our own racerseks, could be wrong though...
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean about not many out there. However, I have a friend that bought an '83 Rhoads student model, brand new back in the day, but he won't sell it to me! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

so i guess they'd be kinda expensive. maybe i should add them to the other rare guitars i'll never find or own. but you never know, maybe someone will sell one for kinda cheap. hope everyone had a good new year.

Garry

Comment

Actually, from what I've seen, the Student models generally go for a bit less than the Customs.

YMMV, but that's what I've seen. Oh, an I think the price difference was on the order of $200 - it's been a long time, though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mike
                Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian:
                  Yeah, I know what you mean about not many out there. However, I have a friend that bought an '83 Rhoads student model, brand new back in the day, but he won't sell it to me! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They are out there. I have a '84 Rhoads Student myself that I may sell soon. Click on my name
                  <------------- to see it. It is green, not teal.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

cool looking guitar racerx. i'm so used to seeing fins on rhoads models, but the dots look cool. maybe one day i'll score me one. but to date, i've never played a rhoads. do they tip one way or another when standing? seems like they would to me. but thanks to everyone that responded and learned me a thing or two.

Garry

Comment

Hey, wow that IS cool! Well, keep me in mind when you feel like selling. I may be interested! Thanks racerx!

Comment

Working...
                      X