Crazy Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Question

Ok, so here goes, how much would it cost someone to professionally have an ebony board installed on their guitar? For example... a model 6 with rosewood board and white binding coversion to an ebony board with binding? Would it be worth it to do that instead of buying a new soloist?

Re: Crazy Question

I would say it's a ridiculous waste of money. I've played both a Model 6 and a Soloist, and there isn't a big enough difference that it is worth the money to replace the finger board.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I think he wants a darker board. Am I right? Even so,It is still not worth it.

Comment

Just stain the rosewood. Search for "ebonize".
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

well, part of it is the darkness of the board, however I have always heard the tone is brighter with ebony, and I always see in on the higher end guitars, which seems to signify its quality to me

Comment

Don't worry about it. LP standards have rosewood boards, lots of people play them. Think of your guitar like that. Rosewood is a good wood.

Comment

Yep, rosewood is fine. Most of my guitars through the years have had rosewood. I had two Carvins with ebony boards and thought they were cool, but my other Carvin with maple board I actually prefer. All my other guitars have rosewood. Rosewood is supposed to be warmer than maple, and ebony is supposed to be a little brighter than maple, but some people argue you can't really hear a difference anyway. It's all good wood. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

But there is a different "feel" to ebony, as there is with maple. Besides he asked how much, not if it was worth it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  But there is a different "feel" to ebony, as there is with maple. Besides he asked how much, not if it was worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  The last part of his post, he asked is it worth it. I still say no, not worth it.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Put it this way, it would be cheaper for you if you sold the Model 6, and put the money towards a Soloist. MUCH cheaper.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Let's see. One ebony bare board: $100.
                      One fret job to your specs: $200. One rebinding job: $200. Labor, 5hrs@ $75. a lot. 30 minutes of dyeing and oiling the rosewood fretboard yourself, "Priceless".
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Come on, it screams out that you're asking this for a visual reasons. I think no one really doesn't look for the sound, but anyway... Imagine you spend whole fortune on physically ebonizing the fretboard, and what you get is a guitar with the sound you don't like. Yes, the fretboard material does affect the sound, but you have to have an ear to really notice the difference. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I checked my rosewood and it's damn unique. Every Jackson rosewood is really dark red and it looks interesting. Some rosewoods are so boring, e.g. Stratocaster rosewood. Keep in mind that most of the rosewooded Jacksons are of low price but their rosewood beats Fender's, which guitars are slighty overpriced IMO!

Just go to the wood shop and ask for linseed oil. Simultaneously put it on the fretboard and wipe it right away. Let is dry for a an hour or two. Then check it... It think that dark enough. If no, then turn your lights off! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                        Mod 6 is something that screams DON'T YOU **** TOUCH ME! REPLACE THE DAMN PICKUPS BUT LEAVE VISUALS AT THE SIDE! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sorry, I drank a couple of beers too much this evening. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X