Converting Satin Finish to Gloss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting Satin Finish to Gloss

Just got a satin finish guitar and, never willing to leave well enough alone, I'm thinking of shinin' 'er up. My plan is going over it with 0000 steel wool, followed by rubbing compound, then swirl remover, then wax. Does that sound feasible, or am I heading for disaster?

Re: Converting Satin Finish to Gloss

Sounds feasable all right. The more you rub the shinier it gets. Not sure even if the 0000 is needed, as a satin finish over time from rubbing your elbow or forearm against that part of the body will tend to polish it, so 0000 may speed it up but not sure.

Through trial and error, I did a Tung oil finish and as I was using 0000 wool after each application of the tung oil I tended to smooth it too much giving it more gloss than I needed, so I guess your answer is yes. That will obtain your gloss finish if regular poly responds the same as tung oil. maybe a bit more patience with the clear coat...

Comment

Cool. Thanks!

Comment

completely doable, but grab a sanding block, some sandpaper from grades 1000 up to 2000, a 6" orbital buffer, and some rubbing compound. make sure you wetsand it, and then buff it all out when you've finished with the 2000.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Actually, with 1500 to 2000 grit, you could just get some cleaner wax and skip the compound! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img](it might be easier on ya)

Comment

Working...
          X