Floyd Rose Spec. question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Spec. question

Recently, I purchased an original floyd rose tremolo in gold to replace my stock black one. I noticed that the piece on the trem that the springs attach to is a half inch longer than the stock black one. And as a result cannot re-install the plate on te back of the guitar.

Does anyone know why the difference in the specifications with respect to the said part of the trem??

Does the length of that piece serve as a counterbalance or something? Because if it doesn't I know a machinist in the area that can cut off some length and redrill spring holes.

Thanks, J

Re: Floyd Rose Spec. question

The length difference is for a non recessed mount.
    I assume you have a recessed floyd.
    You should be able to cut off 1/2" or so and then re drill the holes for the springs.
    Another option is to get a different block.
    Or, see if the block from your old floyd will mount on the new 1.

Comment

The part you're talking about is the sustain block. There are three different lengths depending on how your Floyd is installed on the guitar. On a non-recessed Floyd like on a Shannon Soloist or older Jacksons, the block length is 42mm. On the Wolfgangs (I think), the block length is 37mm for a semi-recessed configuration. On the latest Jacksons, you will have a deep recess, making the block length 32mm.

Half an inch is close to 10mm, which leads me to believe you bought a Floyd with a 42mm block and your current guitar is a fully Floyd recessed one. You should be able to swap the blocks pretty easily, if my observations of other posts on the JCF are correct.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Recently, I purchased an original floyd rose tremolo in gold to replace my stock black one. I noticed that the piece on the trem that the springs attach to is a half inch longer than the stock black one. And as a result cannot re-install the plate on te back of the guitar.

Does anyone know why the difference in the specifications with respect to the said part of the trem??

Does the length of that piece serve as a counterbalance or something? Because if it doesn't I know a machinist in the area that can cut off some length and redrill spring holes.

Thanks, J

[/ QUOTE ]

The sustain blocks are inter-changable, if your black one is an original Floys all you have to do is remove all the saddles (remember the order that they are as there are 3 different sizes) and unscrew the block from the baseplate, add the shorter one from the black floyd and reassemble. You'll need to intonate once its all back. I actually prefer the longer block ones even if they stick out, I don't install trem covers anyway.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          The length difference is for a non recessed mount.
          I assume you have a recessed floyd.
          You should be able to cut off 1/2" or so and then re drill the holes for the springs.
          Another option is to get a different block.

Or, see if the block from your old floyd will mount on the new 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
          The part you're talking about is the sustain block. There are three different lengths depending on how your Floyd is installed on the guitar. On a non-recessed Floyd like on a Shannon Soloist or older Jacksons, the block length is 42mm. On the Wolfgangs (I think), the block length is 37mm for a semi-recessed configuration. On the latest Jacksons, you will have a deep recess, making the block length 32mm.

Half an inch is close to 10mm, which leads me to believe you bought a Floyd with a 42mm block and your current guitar is a fully Floyd recessed one. You should be able to swap the blocks pretty easily, if my observations of other posts on the JCF are correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
          The sustain blocks are inter-changable, if your black one is an original Floys all you have to do is remove all the saddles (remember the order that they are as there are 3 different sizes) and unscrew the block from the baseplate, add the shorter one from the black floyd and reassemble. You'll need to intonate once its all back. I actually prefer the longer block ones even if they stick out, I don't install trem covers anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, you guys are the ****!! I had to quote each answer for this thread because each was very helpful and taught me something about Floyd Roses I didnt know (obviously).
          Thanks very much!!!!!!!! Next string change I'll swap out the sustain block. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Let us know how it works out! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

If your old floyd is a licensed version you might want to consider purchaseing a shorter block from Allparts. That is what I do. I like the one that allparts sales because they are heavier and more like OFR block than the licensed verions.
              Just one more guitar!

Comment

Working...
              X