Texas Specials vs. Virtual Vintage for SRV Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Specials vs. Virtual Vintage for SRV Tone

Lookin' for that SRV tone, pickup-wise, and I'm thinking of Fender Texas Specials or DiMarzio Virtual Vintage pickups (which are actually stacked-coil humbuckers, I guess). Anyone have experience with these (or others), opinions to offer? Thanks!

Re: Texas Specials vs. Virtual Vintage for SRV

Incidentally, the audio clip for the Virtual Vintage Blues on DiMarzio's web page represents a great SRV tone, IMO. The guy playing it is John March. I think his amp is a Line 6 AX212 (or whatever it's called, AX something or other). [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Texas Specials vs. Virtual Vintage for SRV Tone

I would go with a set of Fralins Texas style pickups. Or if you want the best Strat pickup and are not afraid to drop some serious cash, go to JM Rolph.

Comment

Thanks, Jim. Fralins are definitely an option. Are you referring to the "Blues Special" model? Their web site seems to list Vintage Hot, Real 54s, Blues Special, High Output and Steel Poled.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Texas Specials and Virtual Vintages, but I don't really think the Texas Specials sound to SRV to me. The Texas Specials have a ton of mid-range grunt, which is great for a thick bluesy sound, but I don't think they do the vintage chime at all. The VV's will get you into that vintage strat sound. Go for the Heavy Blues version, which is a really nice sounding pickup, lots of push and percussion.

Personally, I didn't think much of the Fralin Vintage Hots, though to be fair, the bridge pickup had the baseplate, which I didn't like. (I do like Fralin's humbuckers, however, and they kill in my Les Paul).
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

I am not up on what he calls his pickups now. I used to get his pickups 10 years ago and would tell him what I wanted rather than a product name.

I never played his base plate pickups. That is something I would avoid.

Another option is to have a set of regular reissue pickups custom rewound. I know a guy who does a great job for around $20-25 each.

Comment

I am big into SRV tone and have had many different types of
              "SRV" type pickups. I would suggest trying the Fender Vintage Noiseless. They look just like standard Fender single coils, sound like them too but they are completely silent. If you want to try a super hot SRV supercharged tone then I would suggest trying Seymour Duncan staggered pole 1/4 pounders.

Comment

Depends on which Virtuals Vinatge model you're referring to. I have 2.2s and they're great. Highly recommended, but more classic strat tones. Not bluesy, like SRV.

I just picked up two of the Virtual Blues models, but haven't installed them yet. Probably won't get to it for another week or so. The sound clip is killer, though.

No experience with the Fenders.

Comment

Thanks for the very interesting responses! Vintage Noiseless, eh? I thought those were more for chimey cleans, less for stinging leads.

After many hours spent web surfing, I’m learning a bit and narrowing things down to these options:

Lindy Fralin
                  Neck: Blues Special
                  Mid: Blues Special
                  Bridge: Steel Poled 43

DiMarzio (w/500 K pots, as per DiMarzio’s recommendation)
                  Neck: Virtual Vintage Blues (DP402)
                  Mid: Virtual Vintage Blues (DP402)
                  Bridge: Virtual Heavy Blues (DP403) or Virtual Vintage Solo (DP404)

I don't trust myself or my local guitar shops to solder all of this together, so I'm looking for a loaded pickguard.

A loaded Fralin pickguard is $296.90 (that includes a few extras, e.g., a matching trem cover)
                  I couldn't find a pickguard loaded with DiMarzios new, but these DiMarzios are $60 each at MF = $180 + hypothetically figure 500K pots for around $20 + installation for $30 = $230, so actually not a huge difference for anyone in our viewing audience who might be thinking of getting something like these new, though personally, I'd be more likely to get 'em used (where the DiMarzios would carry a much lower resale value - there's a set of 3 on ebay with a bid at $66 right now).

Incidentally, I emailed John March (the guy who did the DiMarzio soundclip), and he very graciously emailed me back. He didn't have much info, as he has a guitar tech who sets up his guitars with pickups, etc., but it was cool of him to write me back.

P.S. The SDs sound interesting too, though I wasn't crazy about their sound clip - and I'd rather forego logos (maybe you can get the SDs sans logo; the pics showed logos)

Comment

Actually, the Dimarzio setup you've described is what I'll be installing. Only I went for something hotter (Fast Track 2) in the bridge.

Wish me luck - I've never wired pickups before! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

One thing I didn't like about the Virtual Vintages was how bright they were. I had mine set up with 500K pots, but I thought that if I went to 250K they might warm up a little. I never changed the pots as I ended up selling them - but its something you should consider.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                      X