Dirtbag move or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirtbag move or not?

Ok, this deal was with a JCF'er and I have mixed feelings about the whole deal. Firstly, let me say that the guitar was in excellent condition, and I was happy with the price I paid for it.

So here's the rub: We initially agree on a price that includes shipping, estimated at about $30. By chance, one of my customers who owns a shipping company is in the seller's town one night, and we arrange for him to pick it up and deliver it to me. All the seller had to do was drop the guitar off with the shipper in the sellers home town.

I send an email to the seller saying that since I used Paypal to pay (and the seller paid the Paypal fees), but there was no shipping costs (not even a box for the cased guitar), that I would be happy to split the $30 and he can just send me back $15 by Paypal.

No response.

I wait several days and send another email.

No response.

I wait a week, send another email.

You get the idea.

Don't get me wrong, $15 will not change my life. But it pisses me off that this guy won't even give me the courtesy of an email. Hey maybe he thought I paid too little and he deserves the $15! But have the balls to at least send a return email to me. (I have 2 email addresses for him and have tried them both).

He is still posting on the board on a regular basis, so I know he didn't get hit by a bus or anything like that. I really think I'd be less pissed if it was more than just $15 that we are talking about.

Am I being a wank about this, because I don't think I should be paying for shipping that I arranged and basically pulled in a favour from one of my customers? Or is this guy basically greedy?

Again, it's only $15, but I wouldn't deal with this guy again, just out of principle.

Re: Dirtbag move or not?

Technically, since you pre-paid an estimated shipping charge of $30 (whether it was a random number or an accurate price calculated by a shipper's website), and you and the seller agreed to the change in shipping methods (as described), then yes, it would be fair to refund at least half the shipping.
    Surely the seller did not spend $30 for gas to get it to the shipper?
    If the $30 was consumed in legitimate and logical expense by the seller, then that's fine (IMO) but if it was not fully used, then I say you're entitled to a partial refund of the shipping charge.

However, if the seller is selling to raise money for legitimate reasons (i.e. unemployed, gotta pay the bills, taxes, etc) and not for more gear or other personal/vanity expenses (home remodelling, etc), then I'd say be a bro and let it go.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
      be a bro and let it go.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The new JCF tag line! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I'd say you should get the full $30 back for the shipping since he really had to do nothing. Just my opinion.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You should at least get an email, do you actually think he's/she's just avoiding you for $15 dollars? If that's true, that's just sad...
          [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Hope it works out for ya,

Dave->
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

It really is the fact that I got no response at all that pisses me off. Even with the $30, it's a good guitar at a good price.

Would I have been willing to let it go if he really needed the money, student, unemployed, dog got hit by a car, medical/other emergency, etc? You bet.

But getting ignored really burns my ass. I thought I was being the good guy by offering to only take 1/2 back in the shipping amount.

Thanks for the response though guys; I just wanted to know that I was not just being a tight ass.

Comment

Personally I would be very hesitant to accept PayPal and then not ship the item. The seller is at a huge risk of buyer's fraud and has no recourse through PayPal since they will need shipping evidence. Of course, for a bro, I would trust most on this board and not worry about it. If it wasn't too much hassle for the seller to get it to your connection, he should give you back all the $30. PM him through the JCF, sometimes emails can be legitimately lost...
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
              X