Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How accurate are Warmoth bodies to Jackson's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How accurate are Warmoth bodies to Jackson's?

I recently picked up an older Ontario era USA Jackson neck with the idea of using it on another Ontario maple fretboard Jackson I bought. The whole guitar is a Fusion, so I can't use the regular scale neck on it (I assume), and now I am thinking I may build a guitar out of it. I like Warmoth products (I am thinking quilt top), and the Soloist body shape looks okay to my eyes. How does it look to those of you have have "the eye" with Jacksons? Will the Jackson neck fit it perfectly? Thanks for the help!

[ December 30, 2002, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Re: How accurate are Warmoth bodies to Jackson\'s?

Jim;
    I am currently building a Warmoth soloist body with a 4M neck. The soloist body is very different from a Jackson but nice, very accurate machining. The neck pocket is standard strat and may require a VERY small amount of fitting. You will probably have to plug and redrill the screw holes in the neck. Just be sure you align the neck with the body. With all of the options that Warmoth offers, you can have about anything you want.

Comment

Thanks! That is just the info I am looking for! I know Ken Warmoth, and he kind of owes me a favor (I leant them my vintage Fender Jaguar for a very long time so they could setup the CNC's to make the bodies), so I thought if I had an idea as to what I shoould ask for them to do and not to do (if the body perimeter is good as-is). Maybe I could have them make it with no neck screw holes and drill the holes in the body to accomodate the neck.

Comment

No, fill in the neck holes and redrill those. MUCH easier. Fusions, IIRC, had the shorter "Gibson" scale length of 24.75". This obviously won't work on a 25.5" scale body. I think Warmoth has an option for either scale, but I could be mistaken.

Comment

Black Mariah, the only reason why I questioned the compatibility is because it is not ALWAYS essential to move a bridge to accomodate a scale length. Fender proved this with their Musicmaster/Mustang/Duo-Sonic guitars. They were offered with two different scales, 22 1/2" and 24". The bodies for both were identical, you could swap necks all day long. The scale difference was designed to be completely in the neck. I know that isn't the way it is in most cases, but because I know there is an exception, I leave my mind open to the possibility.

[ December 31, 2002, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Yeah Jackson's scale differences are in both the body and neck - the pocket and the heel.
            And a Fusion's scale is, as was stated, 24 3/4" - it's a "fusion" of the Strat body and Gibson scale length.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have seen neck heel widths on jackon necks go from a standard 2 3/16 to a 2 1/8 and even a 2 1/4,I have had jackson necks that wont fit warmoth bodys because they are to big at the heel and warmoth necks that wont fit jackson bodys because the pocket is to wide.all the older ontarios I own hae 2 1/8 neck heels.

Comment

the few strathead charvel necks ive had were 2 1/8"

Comment

Working...
                X