A Good tremolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Good tremolo

My next purchase will probably be a new tremolo to replace the Jackson one on my imp. Kelly. Ive looked a original floyds, liscensed floyds, and Kahler. The cheapest i could find on an orig. floyd rose is around 175$ I was thinking since Im not made of money I might just get a better liscensed trem like a schaller or gotoh. but if they arent any better than what I have now...i'll buy the orig.
    I can't find much info on kahler...I had one a long time ago...it didn't have the range like a floyd but it was great. Could I replace the jackson floyd with one? Are they cheaper than original floyds? Are the as good?
    -
    Thanks in advance

Re: A Good tremolo

You should look for them used on eBay. You can find them between 60-90. Don't get suckered into anything else other than a Floyd Rose Original or Schaller..some of the knock off ones are made of very cheap metal. The JT 580 isn't that bad..if you don't go Floyd Rose Original or Schaller then everything else would be considered a downgrade IMHO.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

How can I tell what Jackon tremolo I have? Mine has a jackson logo stamped on it and the wedge is stamped "Takuchi" made in japan. There is a hex nut welded where the tremolo bar is mounted.

Comment

What model Kelly is it?

Comment

The Tremolo that you have just mentioned is a JT-580 system. By the way, Schaller make the Floyd Rose Originals so either one of those or a Floyd 2 (the Jackson JT-590) would be the best units to buy. IMHO they are both superb.
          Steve.

Comment

The tremolo I have is the floyd II design...so it is a JT590 right..

Aaron- it is a Import Jackson professional std.

Comment

Hmmm...yours could even be a JT500, they look like the JT590, a friend has one on his JDR94. The JT590 will say "made in Germany by Schaller" on it, as does the normal Schaller Floyd you can get today, yours is either a JT500 or 580. If it resembles a JT590 and has a recess your best bet would be the Schaller as the OFR has longer screws at the back and it will be a hinderance.

Comment

The trem says made in Japan. By Takuchi. so I take its not a JT590 or JT580

Comment

The JT580LPs are made by Takuchi ... my Charvel Traditional has that stamp on the sustain block. My DK2 doesn't, but I'm sure they're the same trem.
                  My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

THanks guys...

How about Kahler tremolos? Are they nearly as good as the OFRs and schallers? I had one a while ago...from what I remember it was great.

Comment

I think the JT590 was the Schaller, might have become the newer Floyd II. An original Floyd II was only single locking, though.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

As for Kahlers.....They are excellent trems, but they arent really Floyd replacements. The problem is you will have a huge empty cavity in the back of your guitar where the springs were if you slap on a Kahler.........That is, the Pro models, but if you get a Kahler Steeler, it will be an awesome replacement since its a direct copy of the Floyd........

Comment

It'd be a JT580LP, according to the thingie.

Comment

i keep trying to spread the word here when i can-you can get a NEW ORIG. FLOYD for like 140 at edroman.com

btw, i've had extencive experience with a floyd II, they are awesome.

Comment

Please dont spread anymore word about Mr. Ed. He's a dead horse........Among other things.........

Comment

Working...
                              X