Saw Prince last night in Jacksonville, FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Prince last night in Jacksonville, FL

Sixth row seats!!! And he can definitely shred with the best of them. Explosive soloing, easily the speed of Malmsteen with the emotion of Hendrix and the technicality of Satriani. But all his own style. He played four guitars all night. Started off with his custom Hohner Tele. But then he came out with a baby blue (Fender?) strat with a Floyd and his custom pickup choice of a hum at bridge and a single at neck. While no Brad Gillis, his command of the tremolo was outstanding and he blistered the paint off the neck. The only other electric he used was the neck through Prince shaped symbol guitar in all purple with a Floyd and gold hardware which he used on "Purple Rain." That song is full of emotion, and his solo was on fire. He also did a 20 minute set of solo music with an acoustic/electric, looked like a Takamine but I couldn't quite tell.

His singing is also top rate, full vocal range. And as a performer he really made you feel like you were the only one in the audience. He includes the audience in all of his songs, and even called up about 25 fans for an entire song to dance around with the band. Prince is no wuss on the guitar, I always knew he was hot, but last night he was ablaze!
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Re: Saw Prince last night in Jacksonville, FL

just wondering...how much did you have to pay for tickets? they went for 65 bucks each in knoxville tn.(row 11) gave ya a free cd of his new stuff to go with it. was security ubertight there? here they had security checking seats by tix thru out the show, but did the pick ppl outta the crowd to get on stage thing as well.
    my wife went and said she had a great time even tho i had to work. ya think he would have set the date for a friday night.

Comment

He is very versatile. Great player.
      1990 Jackson Professional
      1992 Dean ML
      2004 Epiphone Flying V
      2005 Epiphone Dot
      2009 Fender Stratocaster
      2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
      2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
      2006 Fender P Bass
      2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
      1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
      1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
      Custom Pedalboard
      ADA MP1
      ADA FX2
      Tascam 2488

Comment

I sat down and watched some of Purple Rain once, and he can indeed wail on the guitar. I always wondered why he didn't do a guitar album.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Prince is awesome!! whenever i try to tell somebody that he wails, they never believe me. Oh well, their loss. Long live the purple one.

Comment

he is often cast off as top 40. he plays countless instruments, and writes tons of material for many other artists as well. i'd say he's got a few bucks too-lol
            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

The guitar solo for "Let's Go Crazy" is in my top 5 best solos ever!

Comment

Wow -- some bold statements Joe. I agree he has a tremendous amount of talent (not just on guitar either) but to put him up there with Satch, Hendrix and Malmsteen...I'd have to see it to believe it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

amen. i would have his babies. his half hour special on right now....I missed the first part.

Comment

Joe, sorry... I just don't believe it. You really need to stop drinking before a concert. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Prince should NEVER be mentioned in the same sentence as the Maestro Yngwie J Malmsteen.
                    I do agree that he emulates Hendrix.

Comment

Hey hey. Being from Minneapolis Prince is everywhere. I had the honor of knowing some of his band mates and a few of his engineers. I swear nobody has heard his best stuff. I got to hear many many of his unrelesed songs. One record I heard.and I swear to God it was thrash...I am not kidding. Him his drummer (Mike Bland) and a bass player did a fuckin old school trash record. Amazing. He is unreal. I have been to his studio many times and it rules. I have never met him though. I love him. I'm watching his special right now too.
                      LATER!!!
                      H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

I'm am feeling quite bewildered at this moment... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

like Shawn I would also have to witness this myself....everytime I ever saw him "shred" it was just cry baby hendrix licks played fast and sloppy [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

"with the best of them" ...ahhhh Petrucci , Romeo , Olaf Lenk , Magnus Carlsson , Marty Friedman , Jason Becker...Uli Roth ....ahhhh.....Ralph Santolla , Roy Z ........

ahhhh...Prince??!! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

No doubt "Little Prince" is a class act. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Prince rocks, One of my favorite artists.
                            I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I'm in a Tizzy [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X