Computer builders, give me a hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer builders, give me a hand

Okay, I'm talking to my friend, who is getting a new computer *so he says*.

He says *quote* My friend can build me a super computer for 750$

I say, what the hell is it going to have in it.

He says, a gig of ram, 120 gig hd, AMD XP3000 or Pen 4, 3.0, ATI Radeon 9800 vid card. Not to mention, tower, power supply, the whole deal.

He also went on to say, for about 1200 he could have one better than top of the line, (where I promptly told him you can't have better than the top, the top is the top). he said for 1200 he can get one with a liquid cooling system (this price also includes monitor speakers keyboard) and all parts are supposedly brand new.

I think the guy is talking out his ass. I looked at liquid cooling towers, WITHOUT a powersupply, they're like 200, and are shipped as a 35 pound item.

For around 500, I can do a mother board, processor (pen 4 2.8), 512 ram, sound card, and network card. I thought that was good, but I guess somehow genius can coup de grace me.

what I'm asking of you? How much can you build the following system for.

AMD XP3000, (OR) Pen 4 3.0GHZ processor.
    120 gig 7200 RPM HD (let's say western digital)
    1 Gig of Ram, say search speed is 400 or better, whatever you can place in it.
    ATI Radeon 9800 256MB AGP PRO
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    Tower, Power supply, Mother board, connecting cables, 2NICs, DVD burner, and DVD player (2 drives).

And as a seperate price (like show both of them), Liquid cooled, or not liquid cooled, just regular heatsinks, or a pretty bitching one.

Monitor (19 inch, FLAT SCREEN monitor, not flat panel), speakers (something with a sub), wireless keyboard, and wireless optical mouse.

I used Newegg to do mine, and I can't come any-fucking-where-near 750.

Re: Computer builders, give me a hand

Originally posted by Deneb:
    AMD XP3000 processor,
    120 gig 7200 RPM HD
    1 Gig of Ram
    ATI Radeon 9800 256MB AGP PRO
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    Tower, Power supply, Mother board, connecting cables, 2NICs, DVD burner, and DVD player (2 drives)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you can get that for $750 you better damn well take it! It's a great deal!

Comment

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Better yet, let's DON'T! [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

I've been a computer repair/networking tech since 1996. In this timeframe, I've seen Western Digital drives go from decent to really bad. All of your other specs look good, but I would honestly avoid WD like the plague these days. I would recommend Seagate or Fujitsu.
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

$1840 for that system at http://www.legendmicro.com/store/sys...?system_ID=117

Actually more, since they don't have a 1Gig RAM selection, so add $55 for another 512 Megs of RAM to reach 1GB, plus they don't have a 19" Flat Screen listed (17" for $110+).

If you scavenge the parts from various Corporate trade-in/trashed-out systems, you can do it cheaply, but you are getting used (and probably abused) hardware.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Deneb:
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Better yet, let's DON'T! [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

I've been a computer repair/networking tech since 1996. In this timeframe, I've seen Western Digital drives go from decent to really bad. All of your other specs look good, but I would honestly avoid WD like the plague these days. I would recommend Seagate or Fujitsu.
          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, I've never had any trouble from a WD drive, and I've used them since 96 (first computer I built). I've got two 180 GB drives, a 13, a 40 and a 20 - all WD. I've upgraded from 4 GB to 10 to 20 and up over the years, and the only WD drive that gave me trouble was a 1GB I got from WalMart that I did not know had been returned there previously. I sent it to WD for repair because it wouldn't work and they sent me back a brand new drive free of charge.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

i've had lots of luck with www.newegg.com

ordered parts for 5 computers from there, and only had 1 problem which they fixed promptly. (I ordered a ATI9700 when it was new, turns out the heatsink was screwed, so they upgraded me to a ATI9700 Pro for free)

i didn't price it out for you, but it should be near the price specified.

best of luck,
            ~eric

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube:
              I would recommend Seagate or Fujitsu.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, you don't see that often! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The only drives I've seen die in great numbers are the IBM Deathstars. I mean, Deskstars. Add to that over the years and the systems an odd Maxtor, Fujitsu, and WD. Not enough of any to cite a trend. Except the Deathstars.

But then, there is no doubt in my mind that PowerTube has built a hell of a lot more systems the past three years than I have, so if the man says WDs have gone to hell, you might stongly consider steering away from WD...

As to the price, IMO it is as important to go with a reputable builder as it is to get good parts.

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Keith
              The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Oh the system is not for me, it's my friend saying he can get it cheap. I don't believe he can get it as cheap as he can, with all new parts and shit.

He is pretty much *supposedly* building a system that's for gaming. hence why all the shit is awesome, but I just don't believe he's getting it at that price.

Comment

Oh the system is not for me, it's my friend saying he can get it cheap. I don't believe he can get it as cheap as he can, with all new parts and shit.

He is pretty much *supposedly* building a system that's for gaming. hence why all the shit is awesome, but I just don't believe he's getting it at that price.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He really could be getting it for that price, Makes me think they are using new parts, but they are getting them from a guy who meets you in a dark alley ... I would be leary!!

Comment

You should contact Mark (mm2002). He built my current system. Total pro build. Dual 1.8ghz processors, 1024meg of DDR2 ram, the best burners,cd/dvd drives, 3 7200rpm hardrives, chembro server case, top of the line video card, USB expander,audigy 2, and built so nice that I wish the case was clear. Has performed flawlessly for the last 6 months. Not even a hiccup.

Comment

try www.newegg.com

get all the parts together and see what it comes up to.

that seems right, i haven't kept up on the pc prices lately though.

Comment

Ok, three recommendations for Newegg - AFTER he already said he priced it through them [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Wake up, fellas [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

My bet would be it's not 100% legal. I'd be cautious.

Comment

Working...
                          X