Live albums and Audience Participation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live albums and Audience Participation

Ok, I'm sure everyone's heard a live album - or been to a concert - where there's at least one song featuring Audience Participation; the crowd gets to sing along and sometimes it's done so the band can put it on their disc.

Can someone explain to me why the concept of "singer starts the line, audience finishes the line" is so difficult to understand? I have never heard one instance of Audience Participation where there was NOT at least half the audience CHEERING and/or WHISTLING when they were asked to SING THE FUCKING LINE.
    Is it the drugs, or are these people simply not paying attention to the band?

Exhibit A: Judas Priest - Heavy Duty/Defenders Of The Faith (Live at Long Beach Arena CA) on the remastered Defenders of the Faith CD.

I mean, what the fuckin fuck, people!?!

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Live albums and Audience Participation

b/c alot of the crowd noise is added in, and many live albums, well...aren't.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I know some are done that way, but judging by the shitty tones of the track I singled-out, it HAS to be totally live [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Maiden Japan sounded way better IMO, and they were definitely on a smaller budget than Priest were for Screaming For Vengeance (when that live track was recorded).

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Newc go to a hardcore show and you will get all the audience participation that can be had.

Comment

well maybe because metal heads use dope and are children of Satan? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I was flipping thru the channels on the radio the other day driving to work and heard a live version of Tom Petty's refugee and that audience wasn't on dope [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] They knew the words and appeared to pretty well together just like you'd expect drug free christians to be.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

[img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Yer gonna burn in hell!

Comment

Lighten up, Francis [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Shawn - Yeah, I figured it was the dope thing [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

I think half of the people is too stoned to really appreciate what's going on at the concert. The next day they say it was great but can't remember most of it.

Comment

well, next time you're at a show, look around and see how well the audience is miked.

.......most cases, i'd say they aren't, for the most part. that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

On the live version of "Brian Wilson" by BareNaked Ladies, you can hear the crowd singing along on the early part of the song (before the music really kicks in and drowns out the crowd). It's actually kind of annoying.

Comment

Really, man! I come the hear the BAND, not the annoying fuckers surrounding me! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                        Really, man! I come the hear the BAND, not the annoying fuckers surrounding me! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">AGREED!

Comment

Yeah, but I said when it's Audience Participation time. Yeah it's annoying to have some shower singer right next to you butchering the vocals, but when the singer says "ok, you know the words, lemme hear ya" and points the mic at the crowd, THAT'S what I'm talking about.

Actually I think I figured it out - the people who whistle or cheer are probably thinking "ok, if they're doing this to put on the new album, and everyone's singing along, I could whistle or shout 'YEEEEEAAAAAH' really loud and be the ONLY one on the track NOT singing, and I can point out to my friends 'Hey, hear that one guy whistling when everyone else is singing? That's me' "
                          But it obviously doesn't work that way, because you've got 15,000 other people thinking the same thing, so you end up with maybe 1000-1500 people singing along, and fucking no-loads not paying attention.

If you've never heard or been in a crowd where EVERYONE is singing the same song in unison, you're missing out on a very eerie and powerful experience.

Newc

Comment

Alcohol.

D>

Comment

Man it was so awesome at the last show I was at. Branden Schiepatti wrapped his mic cord around the neck of the kid next to me. Then he sang "Won't wear the crown of thorns!" and shoved the mic into the kid's face who happily screamed "THORNS!" along with the rest of the 300 or so people there. It was rad! He did it more than once, and body checked the 5 dudes in front of him at the start of the second song. Go to a small show with no barrier and an awesome band and you'll get what you're looking for.

Comment

Working...
                              X