I need a web host

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a web host

Are there any that don't suck? The cheaper the better, but not at the expense of things such as speed and reliability. My dad has used Godaddy for several sites he works on and I like their service so I'm leaning towards that. Anyone have better recommendations?

Re: I need a web host

I just switched from Dellhost (who sold to Appsitehosting, who sold to Purehost, or as I call them, Purehosed) to Crystaltech. You can find cheaper, but I haven't had any problems with Crystal. Lots of nerds I know swear by 1&1 or whatever it is, but I don't have any first hand on them.

Does that help any?

K
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Ive been thinking of switching as well...
      Was considerring Go Daddy.
      They have good rates and plans..

Anyone else have info on
      their stability etc....

Comment

I have used Blue Domino for the last 3 years, I would recommend it to anyone. I use it for my Web Design business, Wilson WebFX and refer my new clients to them as well. Good price, 24 hour live support, No Setup Fees, Global Account Login, Web Based Account Admin, One Hour Account Setup, FrontPage Extensions, 500 MB of Storage Space, 20 GB of Data Transfer/mo, PHP4 Support, Perl 5 Support
        Personal CGI-BIN, MySQL, Wireless Content Ready
        Customizable Error Pages, Server Side Includes,
        Unlimited FTP Access (24/7, HTTP-Analyze Stats,
        Raw Log File Access, 100 Accounts, Unlimited Aliases, Unlimited Forwarders, Unlimited Auto-Responders, High Performance Servers, SMTP (Outgoing) Mail, Web Based Admin, Webmail (like Hotmail), Spam Filtering Software, Online Domain Management, Free Domain Pointing, Ultra Fast OC-48 Connections, 24/7 Network Monitoring, 99.9% Uptime Guarantee, all for $18.95/month.

Comment

If your still looking in 6 months or so I should have a hosting biz up and going. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But until then the best advice is not to go with the dirt cheap hosts who promise the world. Anybody can get a server online for $100 bucks a month then stuff 500 sites on it because they need that many just to make a bit of profit with their $10 a year prices.

A friend of mine runs http://www.globie.com and I reccomend him, I still have a old clients site I programed running there and never had any problems. Tell him JRM sent you.

Comment

Chicagowebs; they're great.

scott, stay away from godaddy. just ask kevin e. why.

sully

[ April 22, 2004, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: KMaynard ]
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

my vote goes to 1and1, a very good host. seem to be very reliable.
              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

What's wrong with GoDaddy? I've been hosting my band's site with them for almost a year so far, and have no complaints at all. A buddy of mine does quite a bit of website work for bands as well, and recommended GoDaddy to me.
                sigpic

Comment

If you don't plan on having a huge website, maybe you should look into seeing if your ISP provides you with webspace. Most do for emails and homepages. With some web page generating software, FTP software, and 'buying' a domain name to redirect to the page, you will be in business for just the yearly domain name fee and your ISP's usual monthly charge.

Comment

Thanks for all the help, guys. It's looking I'm going to go with 1and1. They have everything I'm looking for, and are one of the least expensive I've seen. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

G, Thanx Sully...

[img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Pat

Comment

Chicagowebs all the way! Can't beat there service. Emails will be responded to usually within 5minutes. We wouldnt be here with out em!

Comment

Working...
                        X