DFW area JCFers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFW area JCFers

My dad has cancer and he has been hinting that he wants me to come down there and stay with him. (my sister is married, house, kids and I'm single, apartment, etc.. I'm the logical choice).

I'll get the house when he passes and I was just wondering what life is like in Dallas. The house in in a neighborhood of 50's ranches just west of White Rock lake in Dallas. Nice neighborhood? Are there auto emission checks in Dallas? then again why would I take a 20 year old car from the rust belt to the south, the other way I can understand. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Just wondering if I'd want to make the move permanent.

Re: DFW area JCFers

Sorry about your dad.
    A good friend of ours(wife and I) was just diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago. She just did some surgery and waiting to see about chemo(sp) stuff.
    Tough stuff to watch your family/friends go thru.

Can't tell you much about Dallas. I live about 3 hours or so south.
    Texas is good though, i think. Weather is wacky, can get kind of cold and stuff up north. Unless you are from a colder climate then you will probably be ok and call all of us pussies. haha
    Dallas is a cool area i think.
    Pantera is around there, oh oops i mean Damageplan hee hee
    uh Easton Guitars is in that part of the world right?
    uhhhhhhh thats all i got right now.

AS far as emission testing, not sure about Dallas but i think they do. I know Austin and surrounding areas are about to start that. But it is for cars 2 to 25 years old. Glad i drive a 1972 Chevy Truck.
    I am sure i am not much help. haha
    Just felt like typing i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan:
      Sorry about your dad.
      A good friend of ours(wife and I) was just diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago. She just did some surgery and waiting to see about chemo(sp) stuff.
      Tough stuff to watch your family/friends go thru.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yea.. He's finished chemo in Feb, but just found out they are going to remove a lung asap. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] That will give him another 6mo to a year. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Can't tell you much about Dallas. I live about 3 hours or so south.
      Texas is good though, i think. Weather is wacky, can get kind of cold and stuff up north. Unless you are from a colder climate then you will probably be ok and call all of us pussies.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well I'm in northern Indiana so I know I'll see a lot of pussies when it snows 2 inches. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

AS far as emission testing, not sure about Dallas but i think they do. I know Austin and surrounding areas are about to start that. But it is for cars 2 to 25 years old.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think i read on some car BB about the major citys in Texas doing it but I'm not sure.. I removed all the junk out of my car years ago, no way will it pass.

Comment

Keep your Indiana plates and there shouldn't be an issue.
        Sorry to hear about your dad.

Comment

I lived near Belt Line/Preston and then Irving for a year or so. I had a good time, but I was on full-out Tech-company expense account during 99-2000, so the sky was the limit. If you have the money, there are plenty of things to occupy your time and I enjoyed the nightlife there. I never had an urge to make it a permanent residence, though. Definitely bring a decent car because no one walks there....there are barely even any sidewalks.

Comment

lance, i'm off preston and legacy...that's kinda funny.

anyway, sorry to hear about your dad, and i enjoy the dallas area completely. no matter what, it beats the ever living shit outta living in indiana. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dad man.

I was born in Hammond, Indiana; the city that they used as the setting for A Christmas Story .(you'll shoot your eye out kid!) I used to have a shirt that had a saying on it that rings true today... "Hammond, Indiana: It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there." I must be smarter than most of my friends because I moved to Chicago and the rest of them moved to Indianapolis.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Yeah, we'll be the pussies until the first time you step outside into a 115 degree 80% humidity day and your ballsack starts melting. Welcome to Texas! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You won't know if you want to make it permanent until you get here. Personally, I'm sick of it. I've spent too much time dodging tornadoes and scraping my nuts off the pavement to like this place vey much. That said, during the fall and winter there probably isn't a better place to be.

Comment

Weatherwise, coastal Southern California is the best place to be year-round. Doesn't rain much and the temps are usually very mild. I say "coastal" because average summer high temp is about 70 degrees, but over the hills an.d 11 miles away in the San Fernando Valley
                  it can be 95 when it's 70 at the beach.
                  it's called microclimates. Cost of living close to the beach is insane though.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                    Cost of living close to the beach is insane though.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Is 18 miles close? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You know you want to move back here, Rich! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                      Yeah, we'll be the pussies until the first time you step outside into a 115 degree 80% humidity day and your ballsack starts melting. Welcome to Texas! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sounds better than 98 degree 95% humidity days in an apt with no central air. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I lived down there when I was 10 to 13 or so. (The Colony I understand that it's a city now... when we were there it was pretty much just a housing development.)

You won't know if you want to make it permanent until you get here. Personally, I'm sick of it. I've spent too much time dodging tornadoes
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">38 tornado's touched down withen 100 miles of here yesterday. I'm used to it, all I can say it's better than earthquakes! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I always liked living here (South Bend IN) the city is large enough to have things to do but no hour long trips to work in gridlock. And Chicago is just 2 hours away, if I want some real city life or a real pizza. Oh crap! I just thought of something... No White castles down there!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes, sir!

White Castle Custom Homes
                        2105 E Southlake Blvd
                        Southlake, TX 76092-6507

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

the colony is still a little place. i drive thru it often.

i had a gig in south bend at coveleski stadium, my south bend memories are:

wicked hot chick workin the hot dog stand at the stadium

taking pix with said hot chick

not being able to find a starbucks with much ease.

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

When were you at the cove? I can only remember a few country acts being there, Joan Jett and whoever opened for her, maybe a few battle of the bands type things. The only starbucks are at a supermarket chain, but there are better places all over.

Tons of hot catholic chicks around here [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And White Castle Custom Homes just wont do. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

8/24/2002 - kiss night at the ballpark. i sang "take me out to the ballgame" in full kiss makeup, standing on the opposing team's dugout for the 7th inning stretch. i did it roseanne style... harry caray would be rolling in his drunken grave. i'm okay with that. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

and yes, after searching south bend for about an hour, we found that grocery store and got coffee. good times.

and while there's no white castle down here, there's shiner. good beer trumps little burgers that run through you. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

sully
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X