Layne Staley RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layne Staley RIP

2 years ago today is the day that they found Layne Staley's body...rest in peace my friend. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: Layne Staley RIP

Great singer. Too bad he died young. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

R.I.P. Layne....

I hear AIC is reforming to do another album/tour as a 3 piece?....is this true?

Comment

Well, it would be cool if they did, but without Layne it won't be the same. Jerry's a decent singer, but you need Jerry and Layne to do Alice in Chains.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
          Well, it would be cool if they did, but without Layne it won't be the same. Jerry's a decent singer, but you need Jerry and Layne to do Alice in Chains.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Totally agree to that! I know Jerry is good on his own as well..and could cover the stuff...but it's still not going to be the same without Layne. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I heard that Jerry, Mike, and Sean were getting back together and that they've been writing. I don't think they're gonna try and replace Layne, but maybe add a second guitarist and have Jerry play guitar and do the vocals. I sure hope so...

Comment

Honestly, I think they should try to find someone to replace Layne. Not to take anything away from him, but I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult to find someone who could sing like Layne. In fact I know a guy that sounds EXACTLY like him. It's not like trying to replace Freddie Mercury or something. Don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone could actually replace Layne, but someone could definitely take over singing duties in his extended absence.

Comment

See that's the thing...I don't think this is supposed to be an Alice in Chains reunion, but a new thing. No doubt they'll play AIC stuff live, because Jerry does that with his own band, but I think that they're more likely to concentrate on moving forward and doing new things together.

Comment

RIP.

Layne is in my top five, as far as singers goes. At Lollapalloza, he was forgetable - totally wrecked and screwing up everything. At Clash of the Titans he rocked and on their own, supporting Dirt, he was a god.
                  At the Dirt show he was in a wheelchair...he had broken his ankle or something. He was rolling all over the stage like a maniac, "shooting up" with the mic and screaming his balls off. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'll never forget that show as long as I live...he became a hero to me that night. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                  Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
                    I heard that Jerry, Mike, and Sean were getting back together and that they've been writing.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mike Inez or Mike Starr?
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
                      I heard that Jerry, Mike, and Sean were getting back together and that they've been writing.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mike Inez or Mike Starr? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mike Inez. I think Mike Starr burned his bridges with those guys.

I still miss Layne to this very day. "Down In A Hole" took on a whole new meaning. All this said, Jerry is quite capable of still carrying on the AIC thang. If you listen to the "Dog" record, most of the vocals were laid down by Jerry because Layne was having "health problems" at that time. He missed most of the recording sessions. The earlier stuff? NO WAY - not without Layne. I saw him on the road with Comes With the Fall, and the singer of that band did an admirable job singing Layne's parts when Jerry did the AIC stuff. Very well done.

I really like Jerry's solo stuff as well. Alot of AIC fans don't really care for it, but I love it personally. It brings me to some of the same places AIC's music did.

Comment

Layne was a unique talent. RIP.

BTW, I'm all for a AIC reunion with Jerry doing vox. He's not Layne, but his vocals were a very important part of the band.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
                          Layne was a unique talent. RIP.

BTW, I'm all for a AIC reunion with Jerry doing vox. He's not Layne, but his vocals were a very important part of the band.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Absolutely!!! That's what really made Alice in Chains special. The interaction between Layne, and Jerrys voices was perfect. Not too many bands can take harmony to that level.

Comment

**moment of silence for Layne**

Ok....

Layne is also one of my top 5 favorite singers. I remember hearing the news when they found him. It gave me that "funny feeling" in the pit of my stomach and actually got depressed enough that I couldn't leave the couch for a couple of hours after hearing. He was such a huge presence and a huge voice.

If the rumors about the "reunion" are true, I'm all for it. Jerry rips !! Saw him on the Degredation Trip tour and he killed !! Would do the rock world some good to get those guys back together !

Comment

I saw AIC in '90 when they opened for VH ...

The only song anyone knew was "man in the box" ...hardly anyone was even watching the show ...they were busy pissin' and getting beer ...I was front row center in a mostly empty Pavilion ..watching these guys and thinking to myself ...these guys kick ass ...

I really liked Staley he had a great voice and style ....very dark ...he had his demons ...but his demons were the ones that inspired his music and ultimately killed him ...very sad

it wasn't a suicide like Kurt ...so I still have much respect for Lane ...I even bought a pair of prescription Ray Bans "predators" or "Dirt Harry's" just like his ...because they're cool [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Sometimes you need a little "inspiration" to go to a dark place ...just like Warrel Dane....too bad it killed him

now I'm concerned about Warrel ...it's a double edge sword ..that could kill you in the end

I kind of relate to that at the moment ...but I have a awesome family to worry about .....so I "try" and keep myself in check...I eat meds like candy ...lots and lots of meds ...you name it ...I eat it...

Jerry does a decent job coping the Staley vibe but it's not the same ...

I just found out that I need lots of "inspiration" to record ..I'm to nervous and stiff otherwise ..

I'm thinkin' of covering a AIC song ...in my set ..There is so much great music to choose from ...Facelift is the shit!!!

Lane Staley and chains ruled ...my favorite out of Seattle ...second to Sound Garden...but that's it!

the only other Seattle band I love is Nevermore ...

Rest in Piece ...I know he's in a dark place ....he wouldn't want it any other way...that's where he belonged..I can relate. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[ April 19, 2004, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X