symphony x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• symphony x

So I was walking through the local Best Buy today, brousing the cd's and I come across Symphony X. They had two versions of Odyssey, both the same price. I got the special edition with the extra song. I had never heard these guy's stuff before but I've heard such good things on here about them so I gave it a shot. Holy crap! I didn't know what I was missing. Fill me in on more of their stuff.

Re: symphony x

Buy it all... They are gods... And nice guys to boot.

Michael Romeo... Wow...

Comment

I'll second dude^.

Symphony X = [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

The song The Odyssey is a monumental epical masterpiece in every sense of the phrase. That song is pure genius.

Comment

dont flame me... but i think their singer sounds GAY AS HELL!

btw, i heard their keyboardist works at a guitar center in nj... east brunswick i think

Comment

Yeah, when I first heard it, I lumped them in as Peter Pan Metal. Much too pretty for me. But, now that I have listened to them a while and have seen them several times, I love that stuff.

Awesome stuff really. Just not the growly vocals, the guy actually sings. And it's interesting to see it coming from him as he's a pretty big guy.

Comment

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Russell Allen's the shit! I love that guys voice.

Thanks to him, Warrel Dane, and a number of others, I've been moving away from Death Metal vocals. I still love death metal, but after a while the guttural vocals just get boring to me. I need to hear melody and variety.

Comment

SX is amazing! I see them every time they play anywhere in the New England states, I once even skipped school to go to Mass to see them and Devin Townsend!

The entire band is great but what really gets my attention is Rus. He at times is really similar to my favorite singer of all time, Ronnie James Dio, so hearing his is almost a religious experience to me.
                I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

SymX is probably my favorite band nowadays--they rock!

I like all of their albums, but the first two, "Symphony X" and "Damnation Game," are a bit more formative, and I don't recommend them quite as much as the albums following that, all of which I consider essential listening:

--The Divine Wings of Tragedy
                  --Twilight in Olympus
                  --V (The New Mythology Suite)

Of these, I would recommend getting V next. It's a concept album, but has stunning playing and writing--and a bit more of a balance between guitar and keys than The Odyssey, while maybe not being quite as heavy.

Comment

Hmmm, they're here in Chicago on Friday and Saturday with Queensryche... I might go to one or both shows...
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

Pretty sure Queensryche is the headliner, and that you're right. QR is doing a heavily Mindcrime-oriented show this time
                      out though, so they should still do okay
                      since they're not trying to play the Tribe shit - maybe one song from that is what I heard.

A worthy show any way you look at ti though.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

QR is doing a heavily Mindcrime-oriented show this time
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, I hope they make it here with that show then. Very cool...

Comment

I've seen both many times, and considering what each band is doing right now, I sure hope SX is the Headliner!!! If not, Queensryche will get their proverbial asses handed to them. Not that I don't enjoy them as well, but SX is heads above them at this point.

Definitely a show you will enjoy a lot either way, you should go for sure. Stand near the left side of the stage for SX as that is Romeos area.

Comment

They were twice in Holland last year and I saw em both times. I can't add anything new, but these guys are way unvervaluated. The first time I saw them they opened for Stratovarius, and I think it was a pretty fucked up experience for Timo Tolkki to be blown away by your support act, but THAT is exactly what happend (I walked from the Stratovarius show [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

I agree on getting V for your next album. IMO it is by far their best work. The entire album "the odyssey" is good, but V is good, better, best.

If they are coming back to Holland, I will definately go and see em again

harrald

Comment

When I was looking through the cd booklet for Odyssey, I was reminded of something. When I was a young kid, who knows how old, I had one of those fantasy daydreams that young kids have. I was thinking about becoming a famous rock guitarist. I thought, my name doesn't sound like a famous guitarist's name (Travis Russell [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] lame). So I thought that I would use my last name as my first name and use my middle name as my last name: Alan. But I would change the spelling: Russell Allen. What reminded me of this was the lead singer of Symphony X. His name is Russell Allen. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I was just on their home page and I also noticed that Russell Allen and I share the same birthday (7 years apart though). Freaky.

Comment

Working...
                              X