Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Needed!! Double case of "Writers block" writing material for a CD!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed!! Double case of "Writers block" writing material for a CD!!

This is mainly aimed at guys that have extensive studio experience......

Manu and I both have a problem, we´re both "blocked". We´ve been working extensively on writing material for our CD, and we´re both blocked.

What I mean is that we both have the feeling that our creative output has fallen into a rut. Nothing that we´d consider "fresh" is coming out anymore. We planned on writing about 40 tracks and "throwing away/ Archiving" 25 or so of those.

Our Goal is a 60 Minute CD that will rock the socks off of anybody that likes guitar rock or techno, and some of the material is just plain unbelievable. But with these "blocks" we´re having a real problem...

What do you guys do in this type of situation?? We´re not actively in the studio yet (thank god, This type of thing would run us into financial ruin), be we do plan to get the CD out by my birthday (7.7.). We can postpone, but we´d like to get it out before the best part of the year is over, preferably during the "Summer Slump" when only crap is released....

Please help, we just need some kind of jumpstart to our writing, we´ll blow everything away that came before this is we finally succeed. We´ve been slaving away at this for five years, we NEED this.

BTW, (and I´m not kidding): The CD doesnt have a title, but a list of over 1000(!!!) pre-orders. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

And when it finally comes out, Duncan and/or Jackson-Charvel Forum members will obviously get a "special Deal", I´m thinking 10$ incl. shipping anywhere in the world [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But you gotta help us take this hurdle first [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Help Needed!! Double case of "Writers block" writing material for a CD!!

I always go back and listen to what I've considered fresh and cool. I go in spurts of writing. I'll write 30 songs in a week and then write 5 in the next 2 months.
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I often get in this situation. No not songwritng. I'm writing my dissertation. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Imo it's like a cycle: you're inspired, write alot, then exhausted. Then I get all panic and my head dizzy. I think this time the best way is to take a short break and concentrate on something else that can keep your head clear. In the case of songwritng, you should perhaps listen to some different music or pick up a different instrument, rather than going to a strip bar, which is simply a waste of time and energy. Good luck dude! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Btw, what are the songs like? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Miffy rules:
          Btw, what are the songs like? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for asking, I think aI haven´t posted any clips here yet [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Help Needed!! Double case of &quot;Writers block&quot; writing material for a CD!!

Originally posted by Zerberus:
            What do you guys do in this type of situation??
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pick up an instrument i haven't used for a long time and fool around.

Set up a guitar with a different tuning. Try drop-D if you're normally using standard tuning. Or just low tuning, like C. Fool around.

Find a couple of unusual or seldom used rythms and fool around on your instrument.

Put the gear down and enjoy some old forgotten or some totally new music.

All the above is about change.
            It works for me most of the time.

/Henrik
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Re: Help Needed!! Double case of &quot;Writers block&quot; writing material for a CD!!

I usually watch some movies or read some books. Sometimes I find that listening to music does Jack-Squat for inspiration. Give your ears a rest and try something completely different.

Comment

Here's my advice, for what its worth.

1) If you can, take a vacation. Just forget about writing for a few days or a week and just go somewhere and do something. Even if its just to the next city or state. Change your surroundings. If you live in a big city, go spend time in the country, or vice versa.

2) When you're ready to get back to writing, if you're still blocked, try this excercise. Take a song that is not something you would normally listen to. Say a country song. Listen to it, and think about how you would do the song in your style. Now be careful not to steal the song! What you end up with might sound like some speed-metal-country-hybrid crap, but the exercise should get you thinking differently.

No guarantees, but they both work wonders for me. One of my favorite unfinished works was inspired by a video game tune.

Good luck.

Comment

go back and listen to what inspired you to play in the first place...d.m.
                  http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Really unique. I like it! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Is Wumpscut one of your influences? If no, check it out!

Btw, dude do you live in Freiburg? I used to live there when I was learning German. This city is like a homeland to me, you know, in a spiritual way. I'm gonna be there in a few years. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Take a day off with a few of your mates who arent in the studio with you, smoke a coupla cones, relax, come in the next day see what happens...keep repeating [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

My best suggestion is to drive a couple hundred miles and back. There's something about the monotony of the road that makes strange musical ideas come to me.
                        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Thanks, Guys. Now to see if any of it actually works [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Miffy rules:
                          Really unique. I like it! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Is Wumpscut one of your influences? If no, check it out!

Btw, dude do you live in Freiburg? I used to live there when I was learning German. This city is like a homeland to me, you know, in a spiritual way. I'm gonna be there in a few years. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nope, never heard of ´em, but I may get around to changing that soon [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Yes, I actually DO live in Freiburg. Coolest place in Germany, and I´ve seen ´em all [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

And if I´m still over here when you come over, you got a place to stay if ya need it [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Take a break from playing any music for 2 weeks. Do as some other people have suggested. Read books, take in some movies, hang out with your friends in a non music enviroment. This has always worked for me. You will have such an itch to scratch by the end of the 2 weeks. 1 week just isn't enough. If you can make it to 4 weeks, that would be the ideal time frame. 2 weeks minimun though!
                            1990 Jackson Professional
                            1992 Dean ML
                            2004 Epiphone Flying V
                            2005 Epiphone Dot
                            2009 Fender Stratocaster
                            2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
                            2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
                            2006 Fender P Bass
                            2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
                            1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
                            1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
                            Custom Pedalboard