What do you see/think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you see/think?

This photo was taken on April 2nd just 2 blocks down from where I've surfed every day for about more than half of my life.

I work at a surf shop and since about the beginning of September there have been a bunch of other surfers that have come into the store and claimed to have seen a shark swimming around the break. Four of my friends were chased out of the water about two months ago when they saw a dorsal fin about twenty yards away from them that started to swim in circles. There is always dolphins out there, but they usually are in groups of about 10-20 and are very friendly. Most of the dolphins around here are also all grey, while the subject in the photo is grey with a white belly. I'm convinced it's a shark, while many of my friends think it's a dolphin. What do you guy's see? By the way, this is at Manhattan Beach/El Porto near LA.

Re: What do you see/think?

I say it's a shark.

Comment

I've seen a couple of pictures similar to this and each one was a hoax.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Tekky, I've seen that one you're talking about also, but that was a horrible photoshop job of some dark shape in the wave. This thing is real. Check out the website at www.eppicsurf.com and the guy that shoots the photos(jeff bell) talks about how there was a bunch of sea life in the water that day, but that photo stood out. Also, check out the section that says Spyder Invades Baja. That's some of my friends that I work/surf with after we won a trip to Baja, Mexico when our shop won a local contest.

Comment

That's just a baby seal. Club it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I don't care if it's really fried freakin' tuna, man. I would not be swimming anywhere remotely near that water for a while. At least until more info. is known. While admittedly shark attacks are rare, a dude just died in Hawaii from one.

No thanks, man. I want to be the eater, not the eatee.

Comment

P.S.- I think the photo Tekky's referring to is here:

Shark or Dolphin?

Comment

I say if it is real...it's a yellow or bluefin tuna. It's definitely NOT a Shark. Hard to make out...but I know the profile of both fish very well! (I've been big game fishing quite a few times) Plus a shark would appear that silver under the water...a Shark would look more like a dark shadow....this is of course if the phot IS in fact, real.

Comment

I say if it is real...it's a yellow or bluefin tuna. It's definitely NOT a Shark. Hard to make out...but I know the profile of both fish very well! (I've been big game fishing quite a few times) Plus a shark wouldn't appear that silver under the water...a Shark would look more like a dark shadow....this is of course if the photo IS in fact, real.

Comment

oops..sorry for the double post.

Comment

That second photo at Malibu makes the first one more believable, but the comparison in size of the dolphin to the surfer paddling looks fake. Most dolphins around here(palos verdes peninsula to malibu) usually get no bigger than seven feet in length, while that one looks like it's about 12 feet. It alson looks nothing like a Bottlenose dolphin which are most prevalent in the South Bay.

Comment

Hmm, well, I don't really know what it is then. Whatever it is, I'm sure it's good eatin'. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

I say its a shark and its a hoax!
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Check snopes to see if it's there.
                            Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

I think it's kinda small for the size of a shark.

Comment

Working...
                              X