Guitar Solo Alert!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Solo Alert!!!

The band is called AFI. They have 3 "hit" video's currently out. Their new CD "Sing the Sorrow" actually has a few guitar solo's in it. The guitar tone reminds me of Vito Bratta's tone on Pride. The solo's aren't as good but they are actually guitar solo's. Hammer-ons, ghost bends, scales etc...
    Track 3 has a definate White Lion tone to it in the bridge and chorus.
    Check it out. This is a step in the right direction for guitar solo's.

Re: Guitar Solo Alert!!!

AFI is, and has been, one of my favorite bands for about 6 years. They kind of remind me of a 2004 version of the Misfits, if the Misfits would have learned to play their instruments.

All their albums kick ass. Check out Black Sails in the Sunset if you like Sing the Sorrow. If you want to spend some money, buy all their discs - you'll be impressed how much these guys have progressed over the years. They started out as a 3 chord punk band for Christ sakes.

Brett

Comment

I was posting on here about how good a guitarist Jade Puget is months ago.

Comment

That CD is good. I am gonna check out all their stuff. He is a good player for sure. It sure is nice to hear guitar solo's from new "radio friendly" bands.

Comment

yeah, they started out as a hardcore outfit many years ago with albums like Answer That and Stay Fashionable.

Its blowing to see how they have indeed progressed, though a lot of people say they fully redeemed they're darker sound because of jade Puget's coming into the band. this is evidenced by their All hallows EP.
          I mean I know guys who love their old records when they had bassist Vic and Mark stopholese (<sp), but disliked their new record. go figure.

but yeah, their new record is amazing. really different from the art of drowning. But I must confess, i wouldn;t really label them a radio friendly band.

Comment

They have 3 video's on MTV playing constantly. Alot of my guitar students are asking about them.

Comment

Jade's a really good singer too...I saw them live at Warped Tour last summer, and I thought they sucked live, but I guess it was just a bad night (Davey had been bit by a spider earlier in the day and had an allergic reaction to it, then got pegged in the nuts by a shoe onstage), they were really sloppy. But I saw them live on MTV and they didn't jump around as much, but they played much better. Their older stuff doesn't have all the different shades and textures as Sing the Sorrow quite as much, but they're still great...I recommend Black Sails in the Sunset and The Art of Drowning.

edited for a type-oh

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                video's
                solo's
                solo's
                solo's
                definate
                solo's
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Pretty bad case of Apostrophe Obsession Syndrome there! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

It is great to see the guitar solo coming back into a true aggressive form of metal in the style of Swedish Thrash with gratuitous Slayer riffage...

I always loved bands like Soilwork , In Flames , Darkane , Arch Enemy and such..

It's cool to see US bands doin' this shit ..Lamb Of God , The Black Dahlia Murder , Shadows Fall and alot of other very talented young players coming out of the woodwork ..They're promoting and playing a lot of good stuff on Headbangers , I actually was exposed to a few bands on there and that's what I like...a lot of bands have tasty solos in them ...it's about fuckin' time!!!!

I'm so glad that Rap / Nu shit is dyin' or dead...they don't even play Korn on that show ...except when Johnathan Davis was was a guest...No metallica either ...cool!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It's about time ..

I hold In Flames partly responsible for making that stuff catch on here in the States...they even put them on Tony Hawk's Underground.. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I want to bring this style to my town (we are the only ones) with my band for the last couple of years but it's been a long haul ...almost there. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I hope it continues ...metal is coming back ...fuck it's here!!!
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                  X