Gigging with imports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigging with imports

Okay, I've got one of those new 2002 Charvel Traditionals and a 2002 DK2 HRF. I'm in a band with a guy who plays a really expensive Parker Fly. Since I've been playing with them, this guy has broken strings twice. We tune down to D-D, so I'm really baffled as to why he keeps breaking strings. I'm using 10-42 Slinkys, so maybe that's got something to do with why mine don't break. But, seriously, tuned to D-D with a floating trem (which the Parker has), I don't know why any string would break.

Anyway, usually when we get together, I play my Charvel. I go in with the guitar tuned and come out with the guitar in tune. About midway through the set, I check to make sure the guitar is in tune, and it usually is. And even when it's slightly flat or sharp, a quick tug on the trem pulls the strings right back in tune. But this guys Parker has to be tuned about 2 times per practice. Not that I'm downing the Parker Fly, but it's a $2000 guitar. Even my DK2 stays in better tune, and it only cost me $300.

So, anyway, I've also watched other local bands playing with Ibenhads, PRS, Gibson, Fernandes (most without trems), and most don't play a full set without having to tune up at least once.

Anyone else out there play live with imports? Do the Jackson/Charvel imports seem to hold up pretty well under live conditions? I'm anxious, but the more and more I play, the more and more confident I become.

--Dan
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Re: Gigging with imports

So you should be..my friend's been gigging with his import dinky for 3 years, only broke a string once, and never went out of tune...The saddle on your friend's floyd could be rusted, which causes the string to break...There is nothing wrong with gigging with imports, Jackson imports are ****ing great!! cheers

Comment

Ive played countless gruelling live shows using my Charvel475, a model 4 and a USA Fusion...

All holding tune very well... I use the 475 for most everything with the Fusion as the main backup.

I love that 475 import... And at $215 US dollars, that's a beautiful thing...

Comment

Originally posted by thetruthguy:
        Okay, I've got one of those new 2002 Charvel Traditionals and a [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] 2002 DK2 HRF [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

--Dan
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] Hot Rod Flames [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
        [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] 10 days more to wait.. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

I can't take it anymore [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

I used to gig with a KV3 (Deep Metallic Violet - chicks dug it), and a USA Les Paul. The Paul broke a string everytime, but the KV3 went through 3 gigs (one a week) on the same set of strings.

And did someone say DK2 HRF?

Newc

[ December 28, 2002, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Newc ]
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Weren't you trying to sell that?

[ December 28, 2002, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: kunal ]

Comment

Maybe that was a shameless plug...lol

Comment

Here's the babies:

Except the Traditional now has racing stripe tape (from Wal-mart) around the top edges. From a distance, it looks just like binding. Highly recommended decoration, by the way.

In the next picture, Bobby's Parker Fly can be seen on the left. It uses a custom trem made by Parker that does float, but instead of a locking nut, it uses Sperzel locking tuners. They apparently don't stay in tune very well. And, of course, his strings break often during practice. It's probably his choice of strings. I've been having really good luck with EB Slinkys 10-42.

My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

1st of all I'll be the one who says that the parker fly sucks ! and # 2 any Jackson import is better than any other brands usa stuff and I have yet to have any one prove me wrong and trust me many have tryed and failed , but then again I live for the Jackson imports [Japan] ! lol //Steve
                  p.s. anyone have a Jackson pro FB , I am looking for one , I need her badly . I wish I would have never sold mine [just shaved the neck]

Comment

Ok Steve, so you're saying a USA BC Rich, USA Hamer, and a USA Neck thru Custom Shop Ibanez RG all completley suck compared to Import Jacksons? HOLY COW, these Imports must rock then!!!!!!!!!!!!

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Steve:
                      any Jackson import is better than any other brands usa stuff
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                      If a Jackson import is better than any other's USA than that must mean God himself set's up and inspects the USA Jacksons before they go out [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I think he does then [God sets em up]! I have yet to play any usa esp or bc rich or hamer that played better than any of my Jackson imports and I have played back to back with guys who do play em , they whine and ***** about the floyd not returning to zero , the guitar going out of tune after 2 or 3 songs , sure you got to replace the pu's on some of the imports maybe the hardware sometimes , we did a show last summer with this band from vancouver and he paid 3000 [canadian] dollars for a kirk hammet esp thingy , after sound check he played my ke3r and was telling me that he wished he had got one [ke3] instead of that esp and told me that mine [ke3r] played better than his and how he would have saved a hell of a lot of money as well !!! I have heard the same thing from other guys as well , so yes I do know what I am talking about !!! I just don't come on to the forum brag about the 3 or 4000 dollar axe / amp I just bought that I can't play anyway ! lol //Steve

Comment

Jackson imports aren't better than EVERY brands USA models, but Jackson make the best import guitars in the world, that's for sure...Except for this one neck-through trans red Brian Moore with real Duncans in it that I tried a few months ago....THAT was the best import guitar ever made....

Comment

ok 1st of all troy I wasn't talking about the made in india stuff or the cheaper js1 and yeah I would play a js1 to any bc rich if thats all there was , the hardware on the import Jacksons are way better than any thing that esp bc rich ibeenhad hamer puts on they're guitars [imports] and yeah when I got guys that are saying that my bc rich sucks and my 3000 dollar esp won't stay in tune , Yeah I would say that my ke3r would play better , and no I don't do crack we leave that for the NU-metal bands . //Steve

Comment

Well you did say Import! You didn't narrow it down to Japanese only imports! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'll take my Jem 7VWH over any Jackson Import any day.

EDIT: ...and I'll put it up against a Jackson USA Dinky too! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ December 29, 2002, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Word ]

Comment

Working...
                              X