??? pickups for my Les Paul???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ??? pickups for my Les Paul???

What's up guys! Got a non-Jackson ?? for ya. I'm in the process of pulling my Les Paul out of mothballs, and have found that the bridge p'up has gone bad. So now I'm looking for replacement pickups (both bridge and neck). Being an Anderson pickup fan, I tried an H2+ & H1- combo, but with less that satisfactory results. As much as I love the mid-range 'bite' that the H2+ has in my Jackson's, in the Les Paul it makes that big chunk 'o Mahogany sound like mud city [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] .

I am looking specifically for a somewhat vintage 'classic rock' tone. Nothing too over the top, bite w/ a nice aggressive 'kick' when pushed. Think Alex Lifeson on the first 2 Rush Cd's, but a little less brittle in the high end. I was thinking about just going w/ Gibson p'ups, but I've heard some not-so-great things about them. What about the Duncan customs? I've never played them, but I've heard good things. Dimarzio's??? Anyway, what do you guys think? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

-Kenn

Re: ??? pickups for my Les Paul???

I have a Custom Custom in one of my Les Paulsand it sounds great. Ive also had a JB in one with a 59 in the neck in both situations. You could try the new Gibson burst buckers. Those sound like the old ones that were hand wound.
    Or a custom and a jazz would be cool too.
    Gil

Comment

Ken, try the SD 59s. Doc Dryer sent me a set to replace the ailing P'ups that were originally in my LP. They were fantastic. Very nice sound with some "bite" when you need it.-Lou
      " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Try the Duncan SH2 on the Neck and the Custom Custom on the bridge. I have these on a Heavy Solid Mahogny Body & Neck and it sounds great. Of course tied to a 5way you can get a real vintage sound when you run 1/2 of them in Pos 2&4

Later

BB

Comment

Seymore Duncan CUSTOM FREAKIN CUSTOM'S. Best PU's I've ever played.
          I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I think the custom custom would be too fat and smooth in a Les Paul since it has an alnico 2. I suggest the SH-5 custom. I have it in several of my Les Pauls and it is THE best bridge pup for a Les Paul....period !! It is high output, yet has that PAF voice. It's like a vintage pickup with huge balls. Its well balanced and has a tight bass response as well as just seering highs and string to string clarity. It has a decent clean, perfect classic rock, and even great for all kinds of metal.

[ February 22, 2003, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: TattooedCarrot ]

Comment

Guys! Thanks for the input! After listening to some samples on the SD site, the custom custom really intrigues me. What do you guys think of TattooedCarrot's suggestion that it may not sound good in a Les Paul?? Hmmm....so many choices! I think we may go w/ the 59' in the neck, but the bridge p'up is still a question. Lou, do you have the 59' in both the neck & bridge??

-Kenn

Comment

I don't agree but thats just my choice. I love the Custom Custom. When you run it in single coil mode you get a great vintage tone. When in double it's clean with a tremendous amount of gain and screamin highs but still has a ton of bottom end thats clean. like I said It's just my 02.

The SH2 is great for me again it can rock great vintage sound in single mode and the clean sound is beautiful and so warm and full.

This is my LG Custom with the Duncans Solid Mahogny Body and Neck very thick and heavy.

Have fun and let us know how it works out.

BB

Comment

Thread Resurrection !!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Well, I finally decided on new p'ups for the LP. Got a '59 for the neck and a Custom 5 for the bridge. I almost went w/ the Custom Custom for the bridge, but was concerned about getting too much bass from the Custom Custom. The 5 appeared to be more 'balanced'. Well, I am VERY happy with the results! Killer classic rock tones, with just a hint of aggressiveness. The shop installed the '59 backwards by accident, but it sounds fine, so I'll leave it. Here's a pic:

Thanks again for the suggestions guys!

-Kenn

Comment

Good stuff Ken, glad to hear you like the Custom in your LP...I have the Custom/59 combo in my Strat Custom my local guy built and it is killer. He's begun making the LP Custom from HELL and I was thinking hard on what pickups to use but I think I'll stick with the Custom/59 combo in that one too.

Comment

Working...
                    X