Fender Lead II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Lead II

In a pawn shop near my work, there's a Fender Lead II. It's Made in USA, 1-piece maple neck with rosewood board, string-thru bridge, 1 hum, 2 singles. Weighs about as much as an 80's Charvel. I think it's ugly but it feels good. Are you guys familiar with this one?

[ February 20, 2003, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: PowerTube ]
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: Fender Lead II

I had a maple fingerboard Lead I in the early 80's. Bought it for about $180 and that's about what I see them for on ebay today. They didn't catch on that well for some reason. They'll have the rounder radius fender neck on them vs. the flatter J/C radius. In the price range they are going for, I'd much rather have a late '80's 'model' Charvel. BUT, if it feels good to you and you can get it 'for a song' then maybe it's worth getting. One can never have too many guitars!

Comment

I remember Brad Gillis back when he played with Ozzy used one of those Fender Lead series guitars. I don't remember if it was a Lead I or a Lead II.

I saw one a few weeks ago in a pawnshop, but these guys were nuts. I guess just because it said USA on it, they were asking nearly $500, and the thing was hammered, too. I'd have bought it if it were in the $100-$150 range.
      Dana <~~~
      '85 Rhoads Custom
      '86 SD Str*t
      '86 Model 4 (5)
      '87 Model 1
      '87 Model 6
      '88 Model 3DR
      '90 650 XL
      '94 KE-3
      '97 DR Amberburst
      '97 Dinky BOFlames
      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

There's a small group of people who love the Fender Lead series. Personally, I always thought they were ugly, too, but they can be had very cheap for a USA Fender. Plus, I suspect the necks are exactly the same as the Strats from that era--they certainly look identical.

Comment

The neck is different from a Strat neck, meaning they didn't use the exact same necks on both, but they do feel similar. Nowadays people steal the tuners, neckplate and pickups to try and get a few more bucks out of them.

Comment

I play a Fender Lead 1 and I love it. It has a real thick neck, I found I feel more comfortable with this that the real thin necks. It is all personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivian Campbell:
              I play a Fender Lead 1 and I love it. It has a real thick neck, I found I feel more comfortable with this that the real thin necks. It is all personal preference.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So what would you recommend for oiling the fretboard?

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

A buddy of mine picked one up cheap at the pawn shop he worked at. I didn't much care for it.. heavy as hell with a fat neck. (hey, sounds like my wife [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )But it is a USA and if its a good deal..

Comment

LOL Powertube!!
                  Yeah they are real heavy.
                  I find I have a hard time playing the thin necks, so it fits right into my style.
                  Hey, to each his own!!

Comment

Working...
                  X